Samsung forum

Question

Problem with Samsung Plasma Model: PN50C450B1DXZA

by uggghhhnothappy / September 25, 2014 3:13 AM PDT

We bought 50" Samsung plasma in 2011. A little over a year later there were dots all over the picture. Not long before that received a letter in the mail about a firmware update that will improve picture. The letter gave instructions on how to download. Stupidly figured I'd give it a try. Well instantly the picture became much much worse. I called Samsung and they immediately set up a service call at no charge to me and the technician had a part sent to my house. The entire inside of the tv was replaced, the shell now only the original part of this tv.

Almost 2 1/2 years later, there is a dark pinkish vertical line on the left side of the screen. Samsung advised me that I will have to pay for repairs. I am completely disgusted with Samsung! I called the same guy that previously repaired this tv and was told this is a very common problem with plasmas but could not tell me for sure without seeing the tv and opening it up. It could be a few different things that could cost me a couple of hundred dollars or more. If I decide not to fix it a house call with cost me $110.

Most people probably spent more on their plasma tvs than I did (this was about $800). But I still feel that a 2 1/2 year old (the age of the inside) should not malfunction!

Has anyone else had the same problem with this tv? Did you get it fixed?

I'd be interested in a class action suit if there is one out there.

My husband and I will buy an LCD to replace this tv when it does finally totally not work but definitely not a Samsung. Here I thought they would stand behind their product unlike another big name.

No lectures please on the age of my tv or how cheap it was. Its not old or cheap by any means.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problem with Samsung Plasma Model: PN50C450B1DXZA
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problem with Samsung Plasma Model: PN50C450B1DXZA
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
There are a lot of YouTubes about these designs.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 25, 2014 3:19 AM PDT
Collapse -
where in my message did i say that I'm not open for
by uggghhhnothappy / September 25, 2014 5:36 AM PDT

discussion. If you're not going to take the time to read don't take the time to answer especially if you can't even answer my question..

"Has anyone else had the same problem with this tv? Did you get it fixed? "

The link you put in your answer...temporary fix. Waste of money.

If anyone out there has the same tv, please let me know what you did. Thank you.

Collapse -
Yes I've had folk I know with that issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 25, 2014 5:47 AM PDT

And fixed too. Some paid, some were in warranty (mostly were not) but your post with it's leaning to a class action means is why I take it you were starting out with all guns blazing.

I'm just an electronics designer and the area of the design is well, about a 5 year design depending on humidity and area temperature. I keep that link handy as it is a common problem plus they improved the design with a small fan.

If you want to chat, I can do that. The good news to me is that it does not sound like a panel issue. Panel replacement cost is more than the set is worth (but I think you don't want to talk about that.)
Bob

Collapse -
PS. I see buffer boards at link.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 25, 2014 6:04 AM PDT
http://www.shopjimmy.com/samsung/pn50c450b1dxza
There are about 5 or 6 buffer boards from 30 to 50 bucks each. Sadly you'll want a service manual and the usual tech gear to figure which to replace. In home service is the most expensive so maybe 200 to 300 for this repair by a TV tech.
Bob
Collapse -
Technical assistance please :)
by Rylie_Hollenquest / October 20, 2015 8:54 PM PDT

Hello Bob. (or anyone else) Maybe you could help me with my Samsung Plasma. It is model #PN50C450B1DXZA - Version NY02. I have installed the firmware update but I have 3 horizontal lines going across the screen. One about an inch down from the top of the screen and the other two are about 2 inches apart right in the middle of the screen. Is there something that can be done to correct this? It's been a good television and I'd like to fix it. Thanks!

Collapse -
I wish this was a new thread.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 21, 2015 9:37 AM PDT

The OP came out with all guns blazing. I take it you are a TV tech so if that's true, I'd check all connections first before calling it a dead panel.
Watch this video for an example of connector failure and how they brought it back.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuwG5wqxTpE

There are new to repair folk that will dismiss this because it's not lines. Can't help but comment they are just too new in the repair biz.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!