HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Problem with Remote Access Auto Connection Manager

by JohnBailes / July 22, 2005 5:35 AM PDT

I'm running XP Home and have had a problem for some time with programs not updating automatically. Another symptom is Windows Media Player does not run any video that it is asked to find on the Internet and then download. I generally get a message something like "Failed to load, try again when you are connected to the Internet". This is very frustrating since I have a Broadband connection, so am always connected. One day, I was working on my wife's computer (running Win 98) and happened to be looking in Internet Options in Control Panel. We have a local network at home with a router connection to the Internet. I noticed that she had some entries in the top box (Dial up and Virtual Private Network settings). On checking my computer I found the box was empty. When I clicked and the Add command it gave me the error 711 message "Unable to connect to the Remaote Access Connection Manager". I looked this error message up on www.microsoft.com and got a series of instructions on how to resolve it. This involved starting up Telephony, Remote Access Auto Connection Manager and Remote Access Connection Manager in the Administrative Tools of Control Panel. telephony was already started. When I tried to start Remote Access Connection Manager it failed, giving me an error 5: Access Denied message. When I did the same thing trying to start Remote Access Auto Connection Manager it also failed, with the error 1068 message "Dependency service or group failed to start". I searched these out on microsoft.com as well and the instructions on how to resolve them simply led me back to do what I had already done, with no success. Can anyone help? Do you know of any alternative ways of kick-starting these two programs? Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problem with Remote Access Auto Connection Manager
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problem with Remote Access Auto Connection Manager
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.