Computer Help forum

General discussion

problem with playing mpegs

by tool77 / January 23, 2006 7:49 AM PST

I've got a strange problem that I can't figure out. Everytime I try to play a MPEG video file my computer automaticly restarts.

I'm not sure if this is a virus or a software or hardware problem? has anyone else had a similar problem ? and if so... what solutions worked?

I've got a Sony VAIO desktop that's a little over a year old....

any help would be greatly appreciated.... thx

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: problem with playing mpegs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: problem with playing mpegs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Tool, More Information Please
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 23, 2006 8:13 AM PST

What operating system are you using?

What is the EXACT file extension of the file?

What media player are you using to play the "MPEG"..?

Is the MPEG being played online or offline?

Is it only one specific MPEG or do all similar files not play?

Hope this helps and let us know more.

Grif

Collapse -
reply to grif...
by tool77 / January 23, 2006 11:15 AM PST

Grif,

thanks for the reply.... to answer your questions...

I'm using windows XP Media Center Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 1... but it also restarts when i try using realplayer...

it's more than one file... it's any mpeg on my computer that makes my computer restart...

i'm using windowns media edition 10

Collapse -
Tool, Try This..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 24, 2006 1:25 AM PST
In reply to: reply to grif...

It would be nice to know how much RAM you have on the system??

I would also suggest that you install Service Pack 2 on that machine..It might just fix some of those issues. See the link below for steps to follow:

Preparing Your Windows XP Computer For SP2

In the meantime, please take the cover of the computer tower and use compressed air blow out all the dust and junk from inside, especially around the processor and fans. Make sure all the fans are turning correctly.

Next, please follow the instructions in the links below to eliminate unnecessary start up programs that are causing conflicts and then delete all the junk files on the computer. All the steps may take some time to accomplish but it should help the machine run smoother.

For Windows 2000/XP, ignore the first couple of sentences about checking "resources" and the "Performance" tab in the link below but follow the rest of the procedures including the "Services" links at the bottom.

How To Shut Down Unnecessary Start Up Programs

Because the links for the "Services" are no longer functioning in the link above, use this one:

Services Guide For Windows XP

How To Clean Unwanted Files From The Hard Drive

If you've also got Service Pack 2 installed for XP, then use the link below to tidy things up a little:

Cleanup After SP2 Installation
http://aumha.org/win5/a/sp2faq.php#after

After following all the procedures above, run Error Checking/Chkdsk and Defrag to optimize the hard drive:

How To Run 'Error Checking/Chkdsk' On Win2000/XP

Hope this helps and let us know how it goes.

Grif

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!