Video Cameras forum

General discussion

Problem with Playback and Recording on DCR-TRV120

I'm having a problem with my Sony DCR-TRV120. The problem is that when I try to play tapes I often get the C:21:23 error. When on the occasion this error does not appear when I try to record, the camera will display "Cleaning Tape" as it records. I thought maybe it was a simple matter of getting the heads cleaned. So I went and bought a Head Cleaner but nothing's changed. Whenever I get to see the playback of whatever I've recorded the video looks split up into 5 or 6 different horizontal bars, half of which are lagging behind by a frame. It is the same for when I want to watch other tapes that I've recorded before these problems started. Is this a tracking problem? Are the heads damaged? Can I fix this myself somehow?

Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED Grin

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problem with Playback and Recording on DCR-TRV120
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problem with Playback and Recording on DCR-TRV120
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
let it dry out and clean it again

In reply to: Problem with Playback and Recording on DCR-TRV120

According to Sony, error 21's are condensation errors. Cleaning tape message means you need to run the head cleaner.
Sometimes you have to run the head cleaner 2 or 3 times.
Take the tape out and leave the door open a couple of hours to let it dry out good.
Run the head cleaner again, and let it dry out again.
After you dry out/ clean a couple of times, then remove any power from it (take out the battery and/or unplug it from the wall.
Leave it that way 10-15 minutes, then try it again.

Collapse -
Wet head cleaner

In reply to: let it dry out and clean it again

In addition, when I'm talking about head cleaning, I'm referring to wet-head cleaning. If that's not what you have, you can buy a 8mm wet-head cleaner at Radio Shack or Best Buy, etc.
The Sony head cleaner is dry, do not use it over and over again, as it is abrasive, and can ruin your heads.

Collapse -
Me too

In reply to: Wet head cleaner

I love what this camera does for video and have experienced the same problems. My solutions are to USE THE SONY DRY head cleaners which work...but when you get sick of using them three or four times in RECORD mode and it still doesn't work, get in there with a head cleaning swab and head cleaning fluid. Just got done doing this 5 minutes ago and it works great. Make sure you blow it out with canned air (make sure not to turn the can upside down... blow gently, not full blast) until it has dried out. then back to playing your tapes.
I have run HUNDREDS of hours on this poor little camera and the heads have exceeded their expected life at least three fold.
One issue is the Camera/OFF/VTR switch wearing out. My suggestion is to eject tape, and remove battery when you are done, rather than turning the switch off all the time. This will break timecode for you, but if you don't even know what that is, it will not affect you.
PEace,
Rob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!