Computer Help forum

General discussion

Problem with passwords,etc

by Skittlebrain / May 16, 2010 11:09 AM PDT

I am using Vista and things worked fine until I had several passwords and log ins that had changed so I deleted them,and cleaned them all out. Now the Apply button stays greyed out so you can't click on it when I go to Tools/Internet Options/Content/Auto Complete/Settings
and it doesn't ask me if I want it to remember passwords,even though I have it checked and this is especially on sites like MySpace and so on. It always did this before just fine,but not now. Any help would be appreciated.
Jenny

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problem with passwords,etc
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problem with passwords,etc
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Difficult to follow
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 16, 2010 9:07 PM PDT

Sorry I found your post difficult to follow.

This is web site passwords and login details held in an Internet Explorer browser, yes?

How were these passwords and logins changed? Do you mean some type of malware?

How did you delete and clean them out?

What you can try, with a gentle warning... Internet Explorer has a Reset button in Tools > Internet Options > Advanced tab. using that will return IE to it's default state and that, hopefully, will reset the auto-complete options.

The warning is that this loses everything in IE, cookies, history, Favorites, plugins, as well as any stored passwords/logins. You can Export IE's favorites before doing this, then Importing them back afterwards, but all the others will be lost. However since you no longer have stored passwords/logins, that part of the reset would not be a problem.

Mark

Collapse -
Reply to Mark
by Skittlebrain / May 16, 2010 11:34 PM PDT
In reply to: Difficult to follow

Mark,sorry my post was difficult for you to follow. Correct,it is passwords stored in the IE browser. There wasn't any malware or anything,I had several that were no longer valid,ones I no longer used and I needed to clean them out. I went to Tools/Internet Options/Content/Auto Complete/Settings/ then I unchecked all the checked boxes,then clicked on Delete Auto Complete history and checking all the boxes there and then deleted everything. I don't understand how to export the Favorites if I do the step you mentioned. Where do I export them too?

Collapse -
Ahh, exporting IE 8 favorites.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 17, 2010 2:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Reply to Mark

That's not too difficult. Open IE 8, then click on the Favorites button and the sidebar will open.

Where it says, "Add to favorites", click the down arrow for the pull down menu, then you will see "Import and Export". Click that, and in the popup window select, "Export to a file", then Next.

I see you can export Favorites, Feeds and Cookies, so select which you need, then Next. There may be other selections to make but shortly you will be asked where to export to. Click the Browse button, then choose your favorite location. The Desktop would be an easy temporary place.

Mark

Collapse -
Exported
by Skittlebrain / May 17, 2010 3:12 AM PDT

Hi Mark,I did that and exported everything,then hit the reset button. Surprisingly my favorites are still in tact as always and nothing changed with the Apply button,it remains greyed out and I still am not able to save passwords etc. Maybe I did it all wrong,but I followed your instructions carefully.

Collapse -
Strange.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 17, 2010 5:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Exported

I assumed that using Vista, you are also using IE 8 and not an earlier version like IE 6 or similar, hence my suggestion to reset. I can't remember if that option was available in IE versions prior to IE 7.

I wouldn't have thought that resetting IE would have saved anything. When you clicked that Reset button in that Advanced tab, did IE pop up a warning telling you what would be lost? If not, then it didn't reset properly.

Re-reading your first post, I am now unclear of what is happening. Does it look anything like this?
http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/3539/autocomplete.jpg

If not, what is different? Perhaps taking a screen print of IE with those windows displayed like mine is, and uploading the image to an image hosting resource like ImageShack, PhotoBucket, or Flickr, etc, will help.

Mark

Collapse -
Yes
by Skittlebrain / May 17, 2010 5:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Strange.

Mark,mine is identical to your screenshot. Yes I did get the warning message all would be lost but it wasn't. I do have IE 8 as well. Resetting cleared the passwords and log in info but kept the Favorites.
Jenny

Collapse -
Ok
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 17, 2010 6:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes

So, if the screenshot is exactly the same as yours, I'm not sure what the difficulty is with the Apply button?

That Apply button, (in the Internet Options dialog window and not the AutoComplete Settings dialog window), will not become active until you make some change in the AutoComplete Settings dialog window and click OK there.

Perhaps I am concentrating on the wrong thing. The problem is that when you enter login and passwords for web sites, you are not being asked by IE if you want it to save them for you?

Have you tried selecting the "Forms" in that AutoComplete Settings dialog window?

If so, and it still doesn't work, try removing all ticks in that selection window, close down IE, then restart it and try again.

See if that helps.

Mark

Collapse -
Same
by Skittlebrain / May 17, 2010 7:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Ok

Yes you have the right idea of everything,Mark. I did the uncheck everything and I had already did the forms earlier. It's still the same,it still won't save log in info and passwords,and is still greyed out on the Apply button. I am beyond puzzled.

Collapse -
For the time being then
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 17, 2010 8:36 PM PDT
In reply to: Same

perhaps it is time to try a password/login utility like Roboform, or try another browser like Firefox.

I'm out of other ideas with IE at the moment.

Ahh, just had a thought. Are you using any security software, anti-virus, anti-spyware, etc that prevents passwords from being stored? I believe Spybot Search & Destroy does that.

Mark

Collapse -
Thanks!
by Skittlebrain / May 17, 2010 11:17 PM PDT

I will give the Roboform a try or the Firefox browser. I use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware,and Super Anti-Spyware and I have AVG. Not sure if any of them could be preventing the passwords from being saved or not. It would make sense if it were something like that. Also Windows Defender runs on my system. I really appreciate your help.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?