General discussion

problem with partition magic

This querry for my friend. He has a HP laptop 320GB hD ( partions as C, D , E & F Drive), 3 GB RAM , core 2duo with Vista home premium. He installed partion magic and suddenly something appeared on the screen saying that there had been error. he immediately uninstalled the same, however since then two of the drives D and F are not shown in the 'My COmputer'. when i right clicked on my computer-> manage -> disk management->,4 allocations were seen all with dark blue colour.the details of eah drive appeared as under
(a) the first allocation shows: (CHappy 48.83 GB NTFS
Healthy (System, Boot, Page File,Active,Crash Dump, Primary Partition)when right-clicked, the options seen were "Open, Explore, Change Drive Letter and Paths..., Srink volume..., Properties, Help"

(b) the 2nd allocation shows: 81.06 GB
when right-clicked, the options seen were "Mark Partition as
Active..., Change Drive Letter and Paths..., Format, Delete volume...,
Properties, Help"

(c) the 3rd allocation shows: (EHappy 81.06 GB NTFS
when right-clicked, the options seen were "Open, Explore, Mark
Partition as Active..., Change Drive Letter and Paths..., Srink
volume..., Delete Volume, Properties, Help" Healthy (Primary Partition)

(d) the 4th allocation shows: 87.16 GB
when right-clicked, the options seen were "Mark Partition as
Active..., Change Drive Letter and Paths..., Format, Delete volume...,
Properties, Help"

Earlier, there was around 5% used space in D drive and 90% used space
in F drive.
Can anybody tell me what has happened to the drives d and F, how it can be restored back as it has data?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: problem with partition magic
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: problem with partition magic
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
1. From your backup copy.
- Collapse -
It looks as if somehow ...

someone made a selection to not assign drive letters to two partitions.

(a) the first allocation shows: (CHappy 48.83 GB NTFS

(b) the 2nd allocation shows: 81.06 GB

(c) the 3rd allocation shows: (EHappy 81.06 GB NTFS

(d) the 4th allocation shows: 87.16 GB

For the two partitions I have bolded assign them drive letters of D: and F: respectively and they should once again be seen in Windows Explorer or "My Computer".

If for some strange reason they are again shown but indicate a need to format or something DO NOT FORMAT them but instead a handy utility named PTEDIT32 will allow you to again show them as NTFS file systems.

CNET Forums

Forum Info