Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Problem with Norton Firewall

I have NIS 2007. Today I tried adding a firewall rule to Norton but, when I go into Settings>Firewall>Configure (enter my password)>Advanced Settings and then click on the Configure icon, nothing happens. Also, when I go to Intrusion Prevention>AutoBlock and change the amount of tim e to block attacking computers from the default 30 minutes, it is back to 30 minutes when I go back in to see if the change actually took.
Why won't these two things work? They've worked in the past.

FYI - I am using my Windows XP account which has full admin privileges. I even tried going into safe mode and using the actual Administrator account there (which I have password protected) but all I can do from there is run a Norton AV scan.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problem with Norton Firewall
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problem with Norton Firewall
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
1 seems a Bug

In reply to: Problem with Norton Firewall

"when I go to Intrusion Prevention>AutoBlock and change the amount of tim e to block attacking computers from the default 30 minutes, it is back to 30 minutes when I go back in to see if the change actually took.'/b]"

It seems it's a bug with NIS 2007 because I also see that problem in my NIS 2007 (in Vista and XP). I reported to Symantec and they will check it out.

" I tried adding a firewall rule to Norton but, when I go into Settings>Firewall>Configure (enter my password)>Advanced Settings and then click on the Configure icon, nothing happens."

I can't reproduce this. It's OK here but I don't use at this time a password protection to NIS 2007 settings.
I suggest to do some trial and error to see if it's the password is the caused. Try to remove the password protection on the settings and see if you can add a general firewall rule?

Collapse -
Chat with Symantec

In reply to: 1 seems a Bug

I had a computer chat with a Norton analyst on their website about this (it took 2 hours just to get through).
They seem very cryptic about what is causing the problem, only stating that they are aware of it and that it may be caused by damaged Norton software files. Their advice was to uninstall Norton with the Norton Removal Tool and then reinstall it but uncheck the Intrusion Protection update when I'm first prompted to do a live update.
Does this sound reasonable to you?

Collapse -
In addition...

In reply to: 1 seems a Bug

Since I did my last post, I went back into the Norton control panel and tried once again to configure firewall rules and now it works!
What kind of a product works sometimes and not others? Do you think something is wrong with my system?

Collapse -
Damaged

In reply to: In addition...

Corrupted installation or damaged files can caused that. Not a problem in your system but those.

Such happens even in non-Symantec products. Other software allow repair, while others has no repair option.
Re-install is sometimes the cure.

If it works now, keep it as is. If doesn't work next time, re-install is next. Ensure all related Norton files has been removed by using the removal tool which is designed to remove all Norton files.

Collapse -
Thanks, Donna.

In reply to: Damaged

I appreciate your willingness to share your knowledge.
Do you think, depite what I have described above, that my Norton Internet Security suite is actually doing the job it's supposed to (i.e. - protecting my computer)? Would damaged files (as the Symantec agent said was the issue) would prevent it from protecting my PC?

Collapse -
If the auto-protect and

In reply to: Thanks, Donna.

other services or process is running and you see no problem with those components, it should protect your computer.

But who knows since it is damaged as per their tech support. This is why I think they want you to remove and reinstall it.

Note that NIS 2007 has many components (one maybe damaged and can be fix), and they offer autofix tool online.

Since they suggested to remove then reinstall, you can give it a go too.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.