PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Problem with new RAM

Hi there. I have a problem attaching a new RAM.
First. I have a PC with Asrock P4I65G Motherboard. This MB works with DDR400 RAM. It was working with 2x256MB, and I needed more, so I bought 2x1GB. Two exactly same RAMs. The problem is when I put them both - The PC won't start. The fans start to spin, but nothing happens. It doesn't load anything. I removed one of the cards and with only one 1GB it started. Then I removed it and returned the both 256MB cards, and it started again, then I removed them and put the second 1GB and it didn't start again. I thought the RAM is not working well, but there was no problem with it when it was tested in the store I bought it from. So I don't know what the problem might be and it doesn't want to work.

Second. Another PC (with the same Motherboard) was working with 256MB RAM and I wanted to increase it. I removed it and attached the 1GB I mentioned above (the problematic one) and it didn't start. Then I tried with 512MB and it didn't start again. I tried with the 256MB what was working on the previous machine, but it didn't start again.

So I think that there have to be something specific that have to be done, when I put new RAM, that I don't do right. How come on same type of MBs the RAM is working on one of them, but it's not on the other one? I tried with CMOS BIOS RESET, but didn't work. What do I do wrong? Could it be something with the MBs or the RAMs? I'm not sure, but doesn't DDR400 means that it works on 400mhz? When I turn the PC on (with the working 256MB RAM) and enter BIOS, it shows that it works on 266mhz. I hope someone can help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problem with new RAM
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problem with new RAM
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Since it worked at the store.

In reply to: Problem with new RAM

Take the machine and the RAM back to the store to have them show you it working in your machine.

Bob

Collapse -
^.^

In reply to: Since it worked at the store.

10x Bob. That's what I intend to do, but unfortunately I won't be able to do this till the end of the week, so posted my problem here, for a faster solution, if possible ^.^

Collapse -
Sadly you've done all the right things.

In reply to: ^.^

I see you tried it 1 stick at a time. The only issue remaining is if your machine supports this amount of memory. Some don't.

Bob

Collapse -
Fixed

In reply to: Sadly you've done all the right things.

The problem turned out to be the fact, that the BIOS have never been updated (that's what I've been told). After I got my PC back I tried with several kind of memories and every time it worked perfectly.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.