PC Hardware forum

Question

Problem with new hard drive for laptop

by The ancient one / December 22, 2012 6:20 AM PST

After installing a new hard drive, I checked the BIOS to be sure that the boot sequence had the CD/DVD listed as first which it did. Then I inserted the Windows CD-ROM and after loading drivers etc, the following is what came up:

Windows XP Home Edition Setup

Welcome to Setup.
This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your Computer
To set up Windows XP now, press ENTER.
Setup did not find any hard Disk Drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer, and that any disk-related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup program..
Setup cannot continue. To quite Setup, press F3
Internal HDD HARD error!
Strike the F1 key to continue. F2 to run the setup utility.
When going into setup utility (or the BIOS) under Device info it shows Primary Hard Drive = [none]
Below is information on the old and new hard drives
Original Hard Drive
Hitachi Travelstar
NI3508 E182115 S
Model: HTS541040G9AT00 5400RPM
5V 1 .0A DC 40GB ATA/IDE
New Hard Drive
Hitachi
NI3508 E182115 T
Model: Hts541612J9AT00 5400RPM
5V 600mA 120GB ATA/IDE

I put the old hard drive back in and it worked as it should.
Any suggestions about what I should do with the new hard drive.

The laptop is a Dell Inspiron 6000

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problem with new hard drive for laptop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problem with new hard drive for laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
If the BIOS doesn't show it, Windows can't use it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 22, 2012 6:31 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) Could it be page 53 ?
by VAPCMD / December 22, 2012 9:43 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) Yes it could!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 22, 2012 10:31 AM PST
In reply to: Could it be page 53 ?
Collapse -
Answer
(NT) How did you set the jumpers on the drive ?
by VAPCMD / December 22, 2012 9:11 AM PST
Collapse -
Answer
Update for the two previous posts
by The ancient one / December 22, 2012 11:02 AM PST

I don't know what was or is going on in my laptop. After getting your posts, I checked on the jumper settings and there apparently are no jumper settings at least on the original although it does show settings on the new drive but there is no place to put a jumper because the only open spots are on A,B C, or D pins. When I pulled out the old hard drive an attachment ( don't know what it would be called) came with it - that is an attachment that the hard drive pins would go into. I thought that I had ruined the computer but I placed that attachment (which covered all of the pins on the hard drive except for A B C and D. Pushed the hard drive caddy back into the computer, connected the battery and AC, turned it on and hit F2 for the BIOS to see if the hard drive showed and it did, so right now I am in the process of formatting the hard drive which I am in the process of partitioning into a 80/40 ratio. 80 for OS and other software and 40 or a little less for storage of data. I have my fingers crossed that I can get this all formatted without any further trouble.

Collapse -
Ok....good to hear you got it working.
by VAPCMD / December 22, 2012 11:52 AM PST

Was the layout of the new drive the same as the one shown at page 53 of the manual ? I'm thinking the adapter serves to jumper the drive for use with the system.

Was it the case you weren't using the adapter or you were but just hadn't pushed it in far enough ?

VAPCMD

Collapse -
About the adapter
by The ancient one / December 23, 2012 11:27 PM PST

When I removed the old hard drive the adapter did not come out with it and since it was not actually part of the hard drive, I was unaware that there was an adapter. This not like working on a desktop where you can see everything. Just a slot with a tray that the hard drive is fastened to. Everything was pushed in because I had to have it in as far as it would go in order to fasten the screws on the back of the laptop.
Unfortunately, things did not go as smoothly as I had hoped. There was no problem with the installation of the OS or other software. The problem is related to missing drivers. Upon checking Device Manager under Other Device the drivers for these "devices are not installed (Code 28)": Ethernet Controller, Multimedia Audio Controller, Network Controller, PCI Modem, Video Controller, and Video Controller (VGA Compatible). I am still working on this issue

Collapse -
Most Windows don't have drivers.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 24, 2012 12:17 AM PST
In reply to: About the adapter

It's a Dell so I'm off to dell.com, put in my service tag to fetch then install motherboard and then the other drivers.

Don't forget QuickSet or you may learn why it's needed.
Bob

Collapse -
What is this storage of data?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 23, 2012 1:29 AM PST

There was that well meaning advice to put your files on another partition for safety or you could reinstall the OS but that advice turned out to be not that good.

Later folk discover they need to resize partitions and lose it all. One big partition and your files in some folder works just as well it turns out.

And this is not "storage." Most have discovered that over the years but your new owners or those that didn't lose it all continue to have their last copy of what they can't lose on "storage."
Bob

Collapse -
Counterpoint....on partitioning
by VAPCMD / December 23, 2012 3:15 AM PST

I know that data on any partition is at risk of loss almost anytime and if you partition your PRIMARY HDD to separate OS/APPs and DATA, the drive and the partitions have to be large enough to accommodate the space needed plus some extra for each.

That said . . . I always install and partition my primary HDD so that I can put my OS and APPS APPs on C and my data, my downloads, my e-mails, etc., on D. I intentionally separate my data from the OS and APPs to make backup simpler and easier (it's on a separate partition I can image and store elsewhere) and second, it makes it possible to clean up or restore a corrupted system on C with less risk of losing data on D. I've got backup images of both C and D on other HDDs that I can restore on the same drive or another HDD almost anytime.

The extra partition and separation of OS/APPs provides a measure of security and simplicity that really makes sense to me and right wrong or otherwise, has served me well over many years.

Merry Christmas to all !

VAPCMD

Collapse -
That measure is so small today
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 23, 2012 3:39 AM PST

That a folder versus a partition here, well, user choice.

Most users get PCs with the preinstalled OS so the partition option is not there. And today's pests show no respect to stuff being on another partition.

The moderators have a saying. "We only lose what we don't backup."
Bob

Collapse -
Bob.....understand and I'm always well backed up.
by VAPCMD / December 23, 2012 7:50 AM PST

I just want to make getting back up and running as easy as I can possibly make it if/when it becomes necessary.

And as indicated, this method isn't for everyone because they don't start with on new systems with any partition options. Guess that's just another reason I build my own...endless configuration options.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
That was my reasoning, too
by The ancient one / December 23, 2012 11:36 PM PST

I like to keep my own data on "D" drive, OS and Apps on C Drive. Because this laptop is only used occasionally, there is little of my own data on it, and that is backed up to a thumb drive which in turn is downloaded to my main desktop where there are various backup methods in play.

Collapse -
We agree...did you get the drivers loaded from the Dell site
by VAPCMD / December 24, 2012 10:37 AM PST

on the Inspiron 6100 ?

VAPCMD

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?