Question

Problem with my second television

My second television is a Sony KDF 46E2000. I bought it in late 2006. Just this week it started doing something weird. Every few minutes, the screen d goes black and there is no sound. The power indicator starts flashing and it basically goes through the same process it does when you turn the television on. After about 30 to 40 seconds the picture and sound are restored. Then a few minutes later the screen goes black again with no sound. Any ideas. As it is only a 720P I'm wondering if it is worth it to call the Sony service outlet or just buy a new 1080P one? If I buy a new one, it won't be a Sony. Not impressed that I am having issues when the t.v. is only 4 1/2 years old. Any help would be much appreciated.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Problem with my second television
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Problem with my second television
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Remember this nugget.

Most of your consumer gear is a 5 year design. From a simple cable to capacitors and more all this stuff is under heavy pressure to hit the price vs. any long life span.

While it sounds like a heat or other "bad cap" issue, repairs often exceed replacement costs. But do ask for an estimate if they don't charge for that.
Bob

- Collapse -
What to do?

I called my local repair depot. They think that the bulb is getting ready to go. However the red warning light for the bulb has not yet come on. Is the life of the bulbs for a LED television significantly longer then a LCD? The price of a LED television is certainly a lot more. Is the picture "better" with a LED television vs. a LCD? I have to decide if I am going to buy a new t.v. or get a new bulb to see if that fixes the problem. The bulb costs $300 so it is not insignificant.

- Collapse -
How old is this bulb?

If it's the one from 2006, that's good news.

- Collapse -
Bulb

When you say "good news" is it because the age of the bulb 4 1/2 indicates that it is more then likely the problem?

- Collapse -
It certainly helps figure how probably it is.

But I can't tell from your reply how old the bulb is.

If you can't bear to make the decision, arrange for service and let them swap it out.
Bob

- Collapse -
Age of bulb

It is the original bulb so the same age as the television, 4 1/2 years. I am going to install the bulb myself, doesn't look too difficult. Before I purchase the bulb, I am going to ask if they will give me a credit if the new bulb doesn't fix the problem. Then I will have to set up a service call so I can get an estimate. They charge $115 for a service call. If the repairs are too much, I will probably just buy a new t.v. Maybe a Panasonic plasma. The plasma supposedly has a life of 100,000 hours. Thanks for all your replies.

- Collapse -
I see this bulb is rated for 2000 hours.

And folk report 4000 to 6000+ hours so this is one very nice design if folk get that great life from the bulb.

As to the plasma, I hate to write it but all the designs I see are 5 year designs (life.)
Bob

CNET Forums