General discussion

Problem with my Olympus digital camera

I have noticed that my camera (Camedia C-4040z)takes longer and longer to transition from one photo to the next... ie.. I am often missing getting a second shot of something as it is still 'writing' it to the media card. Sometimes formatting the card or fresh batteries seems to help but other times it doesn't.. Is this a common problem and is there a 'cure'? Any helpful hints appreciated! Thanks!

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Problem with my Olympus digital camera
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Problem with my Olympus digital camera
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Slow camera

The only two things you can do to/for a digital camera is change batteries and change memory card.

If your rechargeable batteries have been in use for a long time, they may be dying. You could try new rechargeable batteries.

Your camera uses Smart Media which was never particularly fast. It too could be dying. Try a new memory card.

If you are shooting in TIFF format, that could explain the lengthened time between shots.

That is about all of your options.

- Collapse -
Thank you...

I don't think I am shooting in TIFF format (honestly haven't changed settings since I originally set them when I got the camera!LOL) I am planning on getting some new larger cards and hopefully that will do the trick...I usually don't use rechargeable batteries because I forget to charge them! Happy Thanks again`

- Collapse -
Aha!

Get a set of rechargeable batteries and a charger, and that will probably solve you problem.

Digital cameras draw a lot of power and alkaline batteries have to struggle to provide the power in sufficient quanity.

The rechargeable NiMH batteries can supply large amounts of power when necessary and a charge will last about 3 times as long as alkaline batteries. They do discharge slowly if the camera is not used for a long period of time.

You can get a set of 4 with a charger at WalMart:
16 hour recharge kit is about $10
1 hour recharge kit is about $20

CNET Forums

Forum Info