Samsung forum

General discussion

problem with multiple hdmi inputs into LCD TV

by jcace / September 28, 2009 3:25 AM PDT

This one is a puzzler...I have a Samsung LNS3251D with 2 hmdi inputs. In DVI/HDMI Input 1 I plugged in my pc (dvi out, using a dvi to hdmi adapter + audio cable into the TV). Input 2 has hdmi to hdmi from my cable set top box.

All has been great until I replaced my computer, which has an hdmi out... for some reason when I plugged in the computer's hdmi cable into the input 1 of the tv, input 2 (the cable STB) stopped working, giving me a "not supported mode" message.

Interestingly, when I switch sources from input1 to 2, the input1 (ie the computer) displays for a brief moment on input2, then the screen goes black, then the not supported mode message comes on.

This happens regardless of which hdmi inputs I plug into--I've switched inputs and the STB still does not display.

I'm assuming I can have 2 hdmi inputs simultaneously, right?

My workaround is using my new computer's dvi out + audio cables into input1, in order to allow my STB hdmi output to show, but that doesnt seem like it should be, and I'd like to get digital audio into the TV from my computer.

Any suggestions would be helpful! Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: problem with multiple hdmi inputs into LCD TV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: problem with multiple hdmi inputs into LCD TV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
mode
by CHUCKMALLEY / September 29, 2009 1:41 AM PDT

In my experience,when I got the "mode not supported" message,it was talking about the resolution of my computer. In your Samsung manual it addresses that.

Collapse -
problem with multiple hdmi inputs into LCD TV
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / September 29, 2009 6:11 AM PDT

jcace,

In theory, you should be able to hook up two HDMI units simultaneously. Why the cable box stopped working as a result is something I just don't know.

What happens if you put the cable box on Input 1 and the computer on Input 2?

And yes, "Mode Not Supported" has to do with the resolution of the television. The manual lists the supported resolutions, and this may vary by connection type (D-Sub, HDMI, etc)

--HDTech

Collapse -
problem fixed
by jcace / September 29, 2009 10:19 PM PDT

Thank you both for your replies--you pointed me toward the solution. The short answer is that adjusting the resolution from the pc to 1280 x 720 resolved the problem, even though the not supported mode appeared to related to the cable STB.

The longer answer--I actually have 2 hdmi outs on my computer--one on the motherboard and one on the installed video card. The solution only works on the video card; I still have the same problem fromt the other hdmi out. And, the first time I got it all working, I had no audio from the hdmi! But strangely, the audio came back after shutting everything down and restarting.

Thanks again for your help!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.