Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Problem with McAfee Security Center

by Linda C. / May 7, 2004 3:31 AM PDT

My subscription to the McAfee Security Center that came with my computer expired yesterday. Today when I turned my computer on I received a message that I had to "verify" my "privacy" or "firewall" subscription and so I did and it said that it had expired. I bought the Symantec Internet Security program to replace McAfee and installed it. When I now turn on my computer I still keep getting the message that I have to "verify" McAfee and then when I click for it to do just that I can't even get onto the internet and the screen with that message locks. I wound up pressing the off button on my tower to shut-down and then I restart and the same thing happens all over again. One time I was able to get into "add/remove" programs and I "uninstalled" the McAfee Privacy and firewall components of the "Security Center" but upon rebooting I still get that error message about verifying my subscription and it locks in place on that screen. I am using Windows XP (home edition) - Dell Computer 8250. I was wondering if I can eventually get back to "add/remove programs" if I should uninstall the remainder of the McAfee program. Does anyone have any suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problem with McAfee Security Center
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problem with McAfee Security Center
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Linda, You'll Need To Manually Uninstall
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 7, 2004 4:19 AM PDT

The McAfee Security Center comes with a variety of different Virus Scan programs. (Which version of Virus Scan did you have? VS7? VS 8 Online?)It's recommended that you completely uninstall all things McAfee BEFORE installing Symantec products.

Here are some McAfee articles that should help you manually uninstall McAfee items from the file system and registry:

How do I Uninstall SecurityCenter?
http://ts.mcafeehelp.com/displaydoc.asp?frames=1&docid=71525&CategoryId=62217

How do I prevent McAfee Security Center from being installed through Instant Updater
http://ts.mcafeehelp.com/displaydoc.asp?frames=1&docid=108468&CategoryId=62217

Manual Uninstall of McAfee VirusScan 5.x, 6.x, and 7.x (all languages)
http://ts.mcafeehelp.com/faq3.asp?docid=68717

Manual Uninstall of McAfee VirusScan Online 8
http://ts.mcafeehelp.com/faq3.asp?docid=71541

And finally, make sure to follow the procedures in the link below to remove Security Centers entries from the registry:

Searching the Registry for McAfee VirusScan Files
http://ts.mcafeehelp.com/faq3.asp?docid=68373

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Linda Grif is correct
by Lindburgh / May 7, 2004 6:55 AM PDT

It is called clever marketing by the issuing company
We have all suffered this problem and unfortunately it means a trip to the Registry
If you are not happy or familar with this, it is dagerous you must save your current Registry before deleting anything
When you have the instructions from McAfee a usful free tool is JV16 , if you search for this Swedish Prg. it lets you search for all the items McAfee decribe , then you can delete in a certain amount of comfort.
The other way is to upgrade you McAfee and thier Prg. deletes the old one for you.
Good luck
Come back to Grif or I if you have difficulties

Collapse -
Same problem
by 7sorok / August 25, 2005 3:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Linda Grif is correct

Please explain in pain english your paragraph that starts with "when". My brand new Dimension 9100 w/XP froze on me and I had to call service to get restarted - nothing had worked, so, they restored everything. Thus, I want to get rid of troublemaker and install ZoneAlarm Complete and other stuff like S&d Spybot. Your opinion?

Collapse -
Sorok, Lindburgh Is No Longer On This Forum...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 25, 2005 8:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Same problem

...but his basic instruction to clean McAfee from the registry can be accomplished in a number of ways. His method was to use a registry cleaner to do so. I recommend a different way. If you've got McAfee installed on the computer, please tell me what programs and which versions you have installed. (RIGHT click on the red M" in the lower right corner, choose "Virus Scan/About" and give me the "build" number, the virus definitions and the scan engine number.) I should be able to provide instructions on how to manually clean things up...First though, you'll need to run the standard uninstall by opening the Control Panel, the double click on the "Add/Remove Programs" section, then highlight the various McAfee programs you want uninstalled, then click on the "Remove" button.

Hope this helps and let us know more about your specific version of Security Center, Virus Scan, Firewall, etc.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thank God, I' m in good hands
by 7sorok / August 25, 2005 1:54 PM PDT

I have Mc Afee personal firewall plus v6.o.6014 activated, the rest of security center is not- I have one week old computer. When I right clicked on "M", I didn't see the "build" number, the virus definitions and the scan engine number(I assume because nothing is activated). By the way , if I'll get ZoneAlarm Pro, will I have to pay some kind of renewal fees every year?

Also, what's the best way to back up my new system?

Thousands Thanks, Grif. If not for you and other good guys and girls in this forum, I would pull all my hair out

Collapse -
Sorok, Uninstall of McAfee Firewall
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 26, 2005 2:57 AM PDT

Before uninstalling the firewall, disable it/turn it off, then restart the computer so the firewall isn't running. After that, because nothing else has been activated, you should be able to do a standard uninstall from Add/Remove Programs. Remove Security Center and all other things McAfee, if that's what you want to do. Once that's done, follow the manual steps in the instructions at the link below to completely remove McAfee items from the computer..

How do I Uninstall Personal Firewall/Plus?

How to best backup your system depends on what you have. Most new "brand name" systems such as your Dell should have a "Recovery CD" (or CD/s) which will reinstall the operating system and all currently installed programs back to factory condition if you need to format and reinstall the computer. If you have those Recovery CD's (and maybe a "Resource CD" which contains all the hardware drivers), then all you really need to back up are those "unreplaceable" items. Things like: personal documents that you have created and saved, music files, picture files, program installer files that you have purchased and downloaded, and maybe new drivers that you've downloaded and installed. Personally, I try to keep ALL of those items in one or two folders so I can frequently burn them to a CD or DVD as a backup.

Yes, you'll need to pay an annual fee to keep ZA Pro current. On the other hand, I like ZA FREE version. You might consider it. Because I use separate programs for each service, such as a separate antivirus, separate firewall, etc. I only use ZA free.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks a lot. Good advice.
by 7sorok / August 26, 2005 12:02 PM PDT
Collapse -
Can't disable/ turn off firewall
by 7sorok / August 29, 2005 10:27 AM PDT

Tried couple times. Every time I restart computer, The M comes back red. So, how do you disable firewall?

Since we're at disabling/removing programs, how do I remove Quickbooks: SimpleStart Special Edition. I have used everything I know about program removal, including add/remove program in control panel; also, ran Search and deleted all associated with Quickbooks files, but after restart it pops-up back again, but not every time. Maybe every 4th-5th restart. Very annoying! Help

Collapse -
Sorok, This Should Help...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 30, 2005 12:19 AM PDT

You should be able to shut down the firewall by clicking on Start-Run, type "msconfig", then click on the Start Up tab. When that loads, UNCHECK all boxes dealing with the McAfee or Network Associates. If you can't, it's not that important. Simply use the instructions at the link below. (Sorry, the link in my previous post was bad.):

How do I Uninstall Personal Firewall/Plus?

As to QuickBooks, it shouldn't be a problem. Typing "Uninstall QuickBooks" in Google displays a number of hits including the two links below:

http://www.quickbooks.com/support/faqs/qbw2003/119196.html

http://www.quickbooks.com/support/archive/faqs/docs/w_reinstall50.html

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Earth9111, Your Post As Been Removed Due To Vulgar Language
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 27, 2005 5:06 AM PDT

As you have been warned before, please check the forum policies.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?