Computer Help forum

General discussion

Problem with long file names

by Cletus / April 22, 2004 11:48 AM PDT

I posted this on the Win95 forum, but got no hits.
Win 95
DX2-66 CPU
3 Gig SCSI
48MB Ram

When I look at either a CD-Rom or floppy with this computer, I see only truncated file names in the DOS 8X3 format. Every other computer sees the long file names from the ROM or floppy.

The computer shows long file names as usual otherwise. If I copy or move a file from either the CD or floppy, it is stored on the computer in the 8X3 format.

Need some help here please---

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problem with long file names
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problem with long file names
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Problem with long file names
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 23, 2004 6:24 AM PDT

Cletus,

Just a thought here, but did you happen to fall for the "Sulfnbk.exe Virus Hoax" in the past? Do you have the "Sulfnbk.exe" file on your computer? Read the links below:

SULFNBK.EXE Warning
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/sulfnbk.exe.warning.html

Description of Sulfnbk.exe and How to Replace the Program File
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q301316

If it's there, then maybe the instructions at the links below will help you restore the long file names:

190418 - No Long File Names on the Start Menu After Windows 98 ...
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q190/4/18.asp

I am running Windows 95 and using long file names, but they sometimes seem to get lost or deleted somehow
http://www.pcguide.com/ts/x/comp/hdd/fileLFNs-c.html

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
I remember that hoax--
by Cletus / April 24, 2004 11:00 PM PDT

but I did not fall for it.
This computer was a server and I believe it was running Unix when it was given to me. It has the old SCSI HD and has always been a bit of a puzzle. I would like to toss it, but I've promised it to a friend so I have to make it go.

Thank you for your input--

Collapse -
Re:Problem with long file names
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 24, 2004 11:54 PM PDT

My bet here is that the CDROM is using what is known as REAL MODE DRIVERS. You can see these in the CONFIG.SYS with Device= entries and the MSCDEX in the Autoexec.bat

To be clear, the REAL MODE DOS CDROM DRIVER and MSCDEX only gives you 8.3 name support.

Fix? You need to install the "protected mode" drivers for the IDE on the motherboard for Windows 95. Given the age of the OS, this is no easy feat since the knowledge of what to do and where to find such a driver is fading fast.

Why is this so? Frankly, it was expected the OS installer to know how to do this in 1995 and apparently still expected today.

I can give you these clues, but without make/model-numbers of what's involved, I can't be more specific.

Bob

Collapse -
Addendum. Example Windows 95 install routine.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 25, 2004 1:49 AM PDT
http://home.earthlink.net/~billselk/al440lx/win95.html

Not too bad, but omits editing CONFIG.SYS and Autoexec.bat to remove the real mode drivers.

What it does for me is highlight that Microsoft doesn't supply an OS you can "just install it."

Bob
Collapse -
I think you may be on to something---
by Cletus / April 26, 2004 5:20 AM PDT

I just looked at the autoexec file which loads the CD-ROM and see it starts with a Load High command and refers to a version of DOS dated 1993---That can't be LFN compatible.

I completely forgot about the config.sys---I'll check that.

It has been a long time since I have delved into the innards of DOS.

Thanks--

Collapse -
Let me state it one more time.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 26, 2004 5:26 AM PDT

If you use any known DOS CD-ROM driver, you won't get LFNs.

It's not what year it is, it's that you can't use it...

Bob

Collapse -
That I know---been there. Sorry I didn't make that
by Cletus / April 26, 2004 6:20 AM PDT

clear in my posting. That used to be a very common occurence in the early days of Win 95 as I recall. I don't think I will fight the problem since the computer will be used mostly as an Internet machine.

I saw that the MB bios was dated 1990---I don't want to try to research that---

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.