by Ron Reisener / October 9, 2004 6:34 AM PDT

Acer F1, Pentium 2, 2.8 ghz
Windows XP Home Edition SP2
512 mb memory
Intel V92 External Modem
Dial-up internet connection
XP Firewall
AVG 6 Antivirus

For no reason apparent to me, I am no longer to access sites etc from links in mail in Microsoft Outlook. When I click on a link I get the following message.

'This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator.'

What restrictions do you think this message might be referring to? I AM the administrator and the only user of this computer.

I have checked my security settings for IE6 and for Microsoft Outlook but cannot see what settings might have been changed to cause my problem.

Any advice on what the problem might be would be greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problem with links in Outlook
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problem with links in Outlook
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Problem with links in Outlook
by jdorisco / October 9, 2004 6:58 AM PDT

Windows XPHE, 1.4 GHz,Intel Pentium 4, 256MB, PC133 SDRAM, 20.0GB, NVidia Riva TNT2 M64 32mb AGP4X, G.M. 32MB, AGP 4X,400 mhz, 56.6kbps, Via Rev 5 or later USB UHC. I.E.6.0.2800.1106.xpsp2.030422-1633.
--------------------------------------------------
I don't have any experience with Microsoft Outlook, but I'm having a similar problem, and getting a similar error message on OE. My message says: OE removed access to the following unsafe attachments in your mail: xyz.com.url. This is extremely annoying. If I don't want to access an attached link, I prefer to decide that - rather than to have Outlook Express do it for me. So how do I bypass this new SP2 feature... or should I switch to another mail program?

Collapse -
by Michael Geist / October 9, 2004 6:59 AM PDT
Collapse -
by Ron Reisener / October 9, 2004 9:41 AM PDT

Thanks a lot, Michael - the Microsoft article enabled me to correct the problem. I downloaded and installed Firefox for a trial yesterday and it imported the settings from IE6 - maybe that is what caused the problem to suddenly occur.
Again, thanks very much.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 9, 2004 9:33 AM PDT

If the KB Article doesn't resolve it, look up IEFIX on google.com and use it. I've found it to auto-cure minor issues like this one.

Bob

Collapse -
by Ron Reisener / October 9, 2004 9:46 AM PDT

Thanks for the info, Robert - will store the hint for future reference. By the way, I found Firefox to be a great little browser but I am, sadly perhaps, a creature of habit and have reverted to IE6, which has served me admirably.

Collapse -
by SNS55 / October 10, 2004 3:17 AM PDT

Old habits die hard don't they! Happy
I fully understand the curiousity of trying a "New" browser, however like you in the past, I tried other browser and always come back to IE (whatever the latest version is).

I have enough clutter on my laptop I'm sure, so I've stopped wondering and just go with the old die hard version of Microsoft.

Enjoy your Sunday.

Collapse -
by MIpapaof4 / October 22, 2004 6:52 AM PDT

I had the same problem after installing (sp)2. Had to remove the sp and everything was fine. I contacted Microsoft with no help from them.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.