Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

Question

Problem with IE8 - won't connect and display web pages

by GSUdino / June 10, 2011 2:30 PM PDT

Windows XP SP3
Internet Explorer 8
After cleaning some infections using Malwarebytes and Spybot SD, Internet Explorer can no longer connect and display web pages for the single user login that was infected. Other user logins on the same computer work just fine. Under the affected user login, IE does not connect, but able to connect to home network fine, download emails into Outlook fine (so connection to the internet is there), and download updates into Malwarebytes and Spybot SD. So I have connection to the internet, but just not through Internet Explorer on that single user login. IE/Windows Diagnostics indicates possible problem with FTP, HTTP and HTTPS settings and suggest it is Firewall related, but I know nothing about how to verify, check or resolve those issues. And again, if I switch users and go to another user, IE works just fine. I suspect that something essential was deleted while using Malwarebytes or Spybot SD, but have no idea what to look for. Please help if you can.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problem with IE8 - won't connect and display web pages
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problem with IE8 - won't connect and display web pages
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Two options
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 10, 2011 9:44 PM PDT

First option, open IE and goto Tools > Internet Options, then the Connections tab. Find the "Lan Settings" button and click it. In the new window, check to see if any Proxy Server settings have been set. If so, remove them all and select the ""Automatically detect settings" option. Click OK/Apply/OK, then restart IE and see if it will surf. Malware does this sometimes.

If that doesn't work, try IE's Safe Mode option, which is IE without it's Add-ons. You can find that in Start > All programs > Accessories > System tools, then "Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)". If that works, eg if IE can now connect to the internet, then the problem is with IE's Add-ons. Restart IE's normal mode then goto Tools > manage Add-ons, and start an elimination test for All Add-ons. A quicker way is to "Reset" IE back to default. IE Tools > Internet Options, then the Advanced tab, and hit the "Reset" button.

If neither works, then you look at the firewall settings, but I can't help there as I can't see which firewall you are using. With my ZoneAlarm firewall I can open its Control Center, go to Program Controls and search down the list for Internet Explorer and check whether ZA is allowing IE access to the internet. I can't do that for your firewall.

One final thing, why are you using IE? It is, still, the least secure of the major browsers and is susceptible to these kind of attacks.

Mark

Collapse -
Resolved - Thank you
by GSUdino / June 20, 2011 2:08 PM PDT
In reply to: Two options

First option resolved the problem. Thanks for the quick reply.

Collapse -
(NT) That's great, and thanks for reportig back.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 20, 2011 9:04 PM PDT
In reply to: Resolved - Thank you
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.