TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Problem with HT Set-up

by knightrome49 / January 10, 2007 5:48 AM PST

Sony..............KDF-60XS955, 60" LCD
Onkyo.............TXNR-901 Reciever
JBL...............E90 (left and right)
JBL...............EC35 (Center)
JBL...............E30 (Back and surround)
JBL...............E250 (Subwoofer)
Sony..............DVP-CX995V (400 DVD player)
I have problem when watching movie. Onkyo reciever almost always turned off at higher volume. And the right surround is also dead. Please help.I am completely unknowledgeable as far as setting these things up is concerned.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problem with HT Set-up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problem with HT Set-up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
One thing...
by Dan Filice / January 10, 2007 6:03 AM PST
In reply to: Problem with HT Set-up

I can't answer the question about your reciever turning off at higher volumes (although this sounds like the safety fuse is activating, so it may be a receiver problem), but on your right rear surround that's dead, try switching the rear surround connections around to do some trouble shooting. Connect the left rear surround speaker (that works) up to the right rear connection. If the working speaker doesn't work on that connection, did you do something to the surround settings on the receivers menu to disable it? Try another audio setting on the receiver to see if you can get the rear speaker to work, such as take it off of 5.1 surround and simply try 6-channel stereo, where all speakers get the same signal.

Collapse -
"the right surround is also dead.",,, not good!!
by jcrobso / January 10, 2007 6:05 AM PST

Excellent speakers!!! JBL is my favorite brand!
The reason it shuts down is because of an overload.
Could be a bad amp channel or speaker.
Try disconnecting the right surround speaker, see if it still fails.
If it dose then it's not the speaker. You could check out the speaker by hooking to a different amp and make sure it's OK. JBL is a very well made speaker, they can handle a lot of power before they blow out. But ANY speaker can be blown, usually the tweeters go first.
If doesn't fail then it could be a bad speaker.
FYI: Every AV receiver will shut down if you turn it way, way up. They have circuit that detects over current conditions.
Repost after you have done some checking. john

Collapse -
Problem with HT Set-up
by knightrome49 / January 10, 2007 6:59 AM PST

Thanks John. Did what you recommended. Its not my speakers, so it must be the Onkyo TXNR-901 Reciever. Could be the safety fuse activating even at medium high volume. Got a 5 year Extended Warranty on this. Right now, I am waiting for them to call me back as I only get a recorded message when I called their 888 number.

Collapse -
Check for shorts
by HTHMAN / January 10, 2007 9:02 AM PST

Check your wires for shorts. Make sure there is not one strand of wire touching another terminal or a stray one laying across them. I would disconnect/reconnect everything. Also make sure you have plenty of ventilation for the receiver. Too much heat could trip it.

If it is not the speakers or the wires, it is the receiver.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!