PC Hardware forum

Question

Problem with Gigabyte ga-78lmt-usb3 v6.0 and AMD FX-8350

I built my system using Gigabyte ga-78lmt-usb3 v6.0 motherboard and AMD FX-8350 processor. I have two 4 GB RAMs connected to it. SMPS is iBall pps 255 which is of 450 Watts. I am getting continuous short beeps on running the system. It automatically crashes after continuous short beeps. On checking the beep codes for award BIOS system I got to know that it indicates Power supply unit failed 2.AMI BIOS. Which SMPS should I buy to resolve this problem? Is there anything else that too may be leading to this problem?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problem with Gigabyte ga-78lmt-usb3 v6.0 and AMD FX-8350
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problem with Gigabyte ga-78lmt-usb3 v6.0 and AMD FX-8350
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Does not look to be 450 Watts

In reply to: Problem with Gigabyte ga-78lmt-usb3 v6.0 and AMD FX-8350

The side panel has this for Amperes per rail.

3.3 - 15A
5.0 - 15A
12V - 18A

So in round numbers at max this would be 45+75+216 or 336 Watts.

There are thousands of better PSUs and since I can't pick one for you due to the Earth being a big place, come back with what you can buy and we'll pick it over.

Be sure to pick something in the 450+W size with a Single +12V Rail.

Collapse -
Watts

In reply to: Does not look to be 450 Watts

I want to know ideal wattage of power supply. The manual of motherboard mentions a minimum supply of 500 Watt. But do this system require more than it for good performance?

Collapse -
Not to upset you

In reply to: Watts

But that's a silly question. Picking a PSU is done by your standards. My standard is to have a PSU rated at double the maximum Amperes I see per rail. Watts is then checked and we want about double the max we see on the Watt meter.

-> It's very technical and you can never choose by Watts alone as the power supplies have rails of 3.3, 5 and 12. You can find a 750 Watt PSU but it's junk with it's quad +12V rails. Find a single rail model and it works. And we can even reduce the total Watts since each rail is ample to a lower than 750 number.

There is no ideal wattage. There are ideal Amperes.

Collapse -
Answer
Power supply

In reply to: Problem with Gigabyte ga-78lmt-usb3 v6.0 and AMD FX-8350

What video card do you have?

Collapse -
Reply to @Bob__B

In reply to: Power supply

I don't have video card

Collapse -
Then how?.....

In reply to: Reply to @Bob__B

Just wondering. The AMD CPU doesn't appear to have video out so what is this machine?

Collapse -
It's a working machine

In reply to: Then how?.....

I don't have an external video card. I have used it, it's working. The only problem is the continuous beep after which it crashes.

Collapse -
So it has an internal video card.

In reply to: It's a working machine

To pick out a PSU all the details would be required. Or you just put it on a Watt meter, triple or quadruple the reading and pick up a single rail PSU.

Without details you can't be sure what to replace it with.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!