Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Problem with getting only certain programs to run

by JustmeFaron / May 30, 2005 12:20 PM PDT

I'm running XP Pro with SP2 AMD 1.15 GHz, 1.00 GB of RAM
My problem is when I try to run the Yahoo IM I only see the hour glass for a slight second before it's gone and nothing happens. I haven't had this type of trouble with yahoo ever before. This also happens with Pest Patrol. As far as I can tell everything else is running fine. I've ran my anti-virus program (AVG 7 Pro) which shows no viruses. I've defragged, ran my spyware with no changes any suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problem with getting only certain programs to run
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problem with getting only certain programs to run
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Event viewer
by AussiePete / May 30, 2005 12:38 PM PDT

Look in event viewer to see if you can find any associated messages - this may give us a lead to go on.
Also try a reg cleaner.
Peter

Collapse -
Re: Event Viewer
by JustmeFaron / May 31, 2005 4:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Event viewer

Ok I forgot to add that I ran my reg cleaner as well.
As for the Event Viewer I opened it up but I must admit I'm in over my head on that one. I scrolled down each of the three catagories. The security had no items to show. The other two Application and System are filled each contain various errors and warnings. I've double clicked on them but, don't understand what I'm looking at. I'd copy and paste but, the lists would be very long. I'm not exactly sure what you would need to see from this. My apologies for my lack of knowledge about this.

Collapse -
figured it out
by JustmeFaron / May 31, 2005 8:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Event Viewer

Turns out it was a conflict with a loading program after troubleshooting by running msconfig and disabling all in the service tab.

Thank you for your williness to help it was very much appreciated.
Faron

Collapse -
Great to hear - as my profile says...
by AussiePete / June 1, 2005 12:40 PM PDT
In reply to: figured it out

Its usually the simple things that go wrong so look for them first.
best of luck
Peter

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!