Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Problem with folders in my Matsui MAT 120MR 2GB (SINGTEL)

by larral / November 10, 2006 10:51 PM PST

Please can someone help me with the following issue?

This MP3 Player does what I want - i.e. plays music at an acceptable quality. But, althouth the manual says it will hold numerous folders, I can't see any way that it will allow me to either go to a specific folder or indeed track.

If I have tracks with the same name in say folders, i.e. Track 01, Track 02, Track 03 etc in say 5 folders, when I play it plays all track 01 first, then all track 02's etc etc. If I name my tracks, then it plays in alphabetical order. This is annoying as I would have to step through every track until I reached the one I wanted - just imagine how long that would take if I had 400 tracks stored!!

Can anyone suggest anything that will help - I've tried everything but the software on the unit is very basic and there is no special program that comes with this gear to do anything else.

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problem with folders in my Matsui MAT 120MR 2GB (SINGTEL)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problem with folders in my Matsui MAT 120MR 2GB (SINGTEL)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Problem with folders in my Matsui MAT 120MR 2GB
by gravedigger51666 / November 12, 2006 6:45 AM PST

I have the same MP3 Player and the same issues. Have look on web but this is the only place where someone has the same issues as me so if anyone can help please do

Thank you

Collapse -
matsui
by matsui120MR / November 13, 2006 4:14 AM PST

Ha ha. I Have bought the same mp3 player just today. I bet you two bought it from Currys' too!! I don't think we can find a solution to it, it is about the software in the mp3 player itself. Unless it has a new version of it. I have checked it on the internet so far no luck.

Collapse -
My mp3 players a cheap one from Currys
by gravedigger51666 / November 15, 2006 3:46 AM PST
In reply to: matsui

Yes i did get from Currys now i know why it was a good deal.
If anybody dose have any luck from Currys customer services let us all know thanks

Collapse -
matsui mp3 player
by mickybob / November 20, 2006 5:22 AM PST

I wish i'd read this site on Sunday morning.I got one in the afternoon. I deleated the 10 tracks on it, loaded some of my own and.......NOTHING. Last time I ever get anything from PC World again. If any one finds out how to get it working properly I'll be glad to hear how.Mine is going back as soon as possible.

Collapse -
Similar Problems
by old_fella / December 27, 2006 7:20 PM PST

I bought the same model for my father-in-law, who's in his late 70's, so I have to do the downloading, etc.
Someone said their player was listing the tracks in track order, i.e. all track 1's then track 2's etc.
If this one is doing it any order I can't recognise it.
On my system the player comes up as G:\. I've tried copying the files to the root of the drive, i.e no folders, and coping and pasting the folders with all the files inside , syncing via Microsoft Media Player ( which by the way copies the file / folder system ).
I thought it was playing them alphabetically but that does not hold out as you get further along the play list.
I can't get the update software to work either, and although it apparently auto installs I can't find the software either.

The sad thing is it's not a bad player it's just been let down by poor software.
I'm taking mine back to Curry's today.

Collapse -
mp3 matsui 2gb player
by emily123clarinet / December 27, 2006 9:44 PM PST

Please please please can anybody help me as I am pulling my hair out in frustation here!
I bought the

Collapse -
I got my money back
by old_fella / December 28, 2006 3:38 AM PST
In reply to: mp3 matsui 2gb player

I had a similar problem with mine.

Try formatting the MP3 player then upload a completely different piece of music, (one you haven't tried before ).

I found it didn't like one particular track.

I took mine back and bought a SanDisk from a different company.

With this new one you can choose to play all tracks alphabetically regardless of Artist or all tracks as copied from the disk.

Works a treat.

Collapse -
please help
by hunterst / December 31, 2006 7:00 PM PST

iv now had to take two of these mp3 players back to curries.both have had the same problem and so has my third.how do i get past the"internal check disk"and the"internal updating music library"mode.its driving me insane.please help!!!!

Collapse -
Matsui MP3 player frustration
by barney473 / January 2, 2007 7:24 AM PST
In reply to: please help

Well, I used my 110MR three times before I also had the frozen screen on 'Internal check disk' or nothing but a blue screen. Having devoted approx 6 hours trying to sort it plus the player was a pressie from a relative I am loath to upset them. Argh, but there is light on the horizon, it still works ok as a 1Gb flash drive, I recently broke my earphones so I have a replacement set, I have an extra USB extension lead, I save on batteries, I've got a better sized coaster (the CD) and lastly I have learned NEVER, NEVER buy Matsui products. Not so bad afterall Happy

Collapse -
Matsui model MAT120MR
by bobbyem / July 6, 2007 12:58 AM PDT

Unit fails to boot up, does not get past Internal disk check before returning to the MATSUI logo then eternally repeats itself, can anyone help

Collapse -
Re Matsui MAT 120MR 2 GB player
by poggin / November 13, 2006 4:20 AM PST

I to have discovered the same problem - the 'music' folder does not appear to support a further folder hierarchy, so tracks from albums are not kept together in another folder but simply appear as 'more tracks'. It WAS only

Collapse -
matsui mp3
by mickybob / November 20, 2006 5:24 AM PST

It does not matter how much it cost, what matters is that it works.

Collapse -
matsui
by matsui120MR / November 13, 2006 5:44 AM PST

the possible answer could be upgrating the software. Please have a look at the manual p12;

"Software upgrading
This machine can use the software tool that
drivers to upgrade and maintain the system firmware.
1. Run the firmware upgrade software."

how?

Collapse -
matsui
by jamwilli72 / November 13, 2006 7:34 AM PST

I bought one today... from Currys as well :/ I think I'll probably be attempting to get my money back or at least an exchange for a different player.

The software is indeed the 'problem' - the player's software is programmed to run like it does, with tracks playing alphabetically, ignoring folder structure.
If anyone can find how to get the firmware upgrade working that may help - IF matsui have released a version that plays the tracks in order (which is unlikely since the mp3 players probably have the most up to date firmware already as they are new).
I tried to install the software on the CD by running the installation program - however nothing was installed in the folders I told it to install in!

Collapse -
Matsui 2gb MAT 120MR just dead
by snake_carpet / March 27, 2007 7:47 PM PDT

hi all
I just killed my matsui by filefixer tool
player can't turn it on , usb not find my player just dead
tool stupdaterapp.exe unable to write firmware data
maybe someone can help me
solution for that
PLS HELP SOME ONE
my mail:
snake_carpet@o2.co.uk

Regards 4 ALL

Collapse -
Problem with the matsui 120MR mp3 player
by zna101 / May 15, 2007 1:43 AM PDT

Hi there, ive also been having problem with this mp3 and i have just received it about 5months ago. Whenever i switch it on the screen either remains blue or it plays only part of a song and then it makes this annoying noise and everything gets stuck. Ive been told that my firmware has been damaged but unfortunately i do not have the CD or the manual.

Can anyone PLEASE tell me where can i download this firmware.

Collapse -
firmware
by woofy1231 / May 15, 2007 5:06 AM PDT

read the article, its been posted afew times, worked for me, you could try searching, these forums are a real pain

Collapse -
Firmware for matsui MAT120MR 2GB
by zna101 / May 15, 2007 7:09 PM PDT
In reply to: firmware

Can anybody send me the firmware for the matsui MAT120MR 2GB mp3 player on jobady@hotmail.com please? Thnx to all.

Collapse -
Don't Buy This Product
by jsdude6600 / November 13, 2006 10:15 AM PST

I brought the Matsui 120MR product today and at first it worked ok except for the folder problem and not placing the tracks in order. I have two operating systems and The software it came with didn't propley install on either Windows 98SE or Windows XP.

At first I couldn't get the updater to work, then eventually got it to work, it then reformatted my player and it asked me to reformat through Windows Explorer, I did this and now it won't switch on at all. If anyone knows how to get it working again, please let me know because i've tried everything (new battery, reinstalling software, etc) to get it back and nothing works. It's probobly bust.

This product is an utter load of rubbish and it proves how useless the web and instruction manuals can be when people need technical help.

Collapse -
Try This
by gravedigger51666 / November 15, 2006 3:55 AM PST
In reply to: Don't Buy This Product

Try plugging it in with it NOT TURNED ON then format it through Windows.
I will presume you have formated it in Windows XP as you have two operating systems i do not no if this will work but thats all the help i can give

Collapse -
Hey did you get any joy trying to fix the player?
by skmaduev / January 24, 2007 11:54 PM PST

My Matsui MAT 120MR is the same! i cant get it too switch on at all, i was getting the computer too recognise it as a USB Mass Storage device but now that aint working????

Collapse -
I totally agree
by Allyoli12345 / February 5, 2007 4:41 AM PST

I agree with you completely!
i bought a matsui 2GB mp3 and it is a waste of space1
it does not play my songs and i deleted them all. when i tried to up load more song it froze my PC when i put it in the usb port and when it finally unfroze it said i could not sync songs onto it as it was damaged!!
never ever am i going to buy a mp3 from matsui again!!

Collapse -
Playing tracks in order
by dvdob / March 8, 2007 12:05 AM PST

A bit of a bind but if you get MP3tag (or any tag editor) and add 01, 02, 03 etc to the song titles then they'll play in order. The player is reading the tags but for some reason ignores the track field.

Collapse -
Same product, same problem
by mrweeble / November 13, 2006 7:27 PM PST

Me and my boyfriend both bought this last night as it seemed like such a great deal. I'm not going to return it, as I can always work around it by changing the track titles (Useful tool for doing this in bulk - MP3 Tag Tools from http://massid3lib.sourceforge.net/ )

However I will be getting onto Currys Customer Services and asking them for updated firmware. The CD they have provided is useless, the readme on there was totally unintelligable until I realised that it was the readme from the chip manufacturer telling Matsui how to create a driver and appropriate software. Sheesh.

It seems a shame as other than this it seems a great little player.

The chip inside SigmaTel is apparently a very popular one, and there are some SDKs around, so there may be an alternative one somewhere

If I get information about updated or alternative firmware I will let you know.

Collapse -
Matsui-MP3 Tag Tools
by matsui120MR / November 13, 2006 9:46 PM PST

Hi,

Thank you for the MP3 tag tools software, it is a very useful tool. Still it doesn't solve the whole problem. If you have 100 mp3 in the player and if you wanto go to the 50th song you have to click 50 times!

I was so surprised there was no information for the product on the internet and the company (Matsui) itself. Then I found out that
It is an own brand of the Currys!! This is from Wikipedia:

"The Japanese-sounding name was chosen as a device for fooling customers into believing the goods were made in Japan, since common perception at the time was that electronics from the Far East were of higher quality than European counterparts."

They fooled me!!

Collapse -
Poor functionality
by david-27 / November 14, 2006 8:06 AM PST

I too was tempted by the adverts in Currys and purchased the MAT 120MR on Sunday. The MP3 operation is very poor and only operates well if you wish to play all tracks in sequence or use the random/shuttle options. Skipping forward or back anything more than a few tracks is an impossible drag. I have also used file and track renaming to ensure that all albums copied in at least have their tracks together and in sequence.

However, since it can be used as a 2GB data USB drive, I feel that it is still good value for money. MP3 sound quality seems good for a low end product.

Overall not a good advert for Currys brand goods.

Collapse -
Beware -- USB "Full speed" not USB "Hi-Speed"
by calvin141170 / December 9, 2006 6:38 PM PST
In reply to: Poor functionality

Another thing to be aware of -- particularly if you're planning to use as a USB storage device as well as an MP3 player -- is that this device is actually USB 1.1 not USB 2.0.

Check the packaging and you'll find it says USB Full Speed (USB 1.1) as opposed to USB Hi-Speed (USB 2.0).

I bought it primarily as a cheap digital voice recorder -- the MP3 player part was a bonus. I didn't mind the folder / album issue -- I was happy to let it "Shuffle" everything up.

However, a week after buying it the thing froze. Now it just lights the back-light when I turn it on and won't do anything else.

It's going back to Curry's as soon as I can get it there.

Cheers,

Calvin!

Collapse -
Replaced with a 1GB Creative MuVo V100
by calvin141170 / December 20, 2006 7:12 PM PST

Took the Matsui back to Curry's and paid a bit more for a 1GB Creative MuVo. So far it's superb. Voice recordings are way clearer, and it syncs better with Windows Media Player. Syncing is also WAY FASTER thanks to the USB 2.0 interface.

I can now navigate by folders, and listen to individual albums or songs at will. It seems to sound great too.

Best of all, by telling Windows Media Player to downsample my audio files to 64kbps when syncing I can get as much music onto it as I could on the 2GB Matsui at 128kbps -- and I still think it sounds better.

Anywhoo -- just thought I'd post the update. If you're looking for an affordable, well featured MP3 player you could do worse than look at the MuVo.

Cheers,

Calvin!

Collapse -
matsui 120
by inter-loper / December 21, 2006 12:35 AM PST

Hi,
i bought one from ebay... i know, i know.
no manual. wondering if you/anyone can help me as the thing does the same as yours. plug it in and the backlight, my pc installed it; re-boot and the details are there on screen, but nothing else, no play, no transfer. should i have software? or is 'curried'? any info on even where to find a manual, or what the lock & unlock and M button do, (i've worked out the rest).

regards

Collapse -
I got a bigger problem!!!
by sibmatney / November 15, 2006 6:55 AM PST

at least you have figured out how to operate it to play your tracks. Can anyone plesae tell me how to listen to my music without the screen telling me that there are no files. I've just bought it today and tried to read the manual but it aint helping.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.