Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Problem with Firefox and msnialogin.pasport.com

I can't seem to login to any of my MSN related websites, such as My MSN, or MSN Hotmail. Every time I type my email address and PW into the login box, I get "Error establishing an encrypted connection to msnialogin.passport.com. Error Code: -8075." It is set to accept cookies. I haven't used Firefox too much for this reason, so I admit I'm not too savvy yet.
Any ideas?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problem with Firefox and msnialogin.pasport.com
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problem with Firefox and msnialogin.pasport.com
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What you need to know.

In reply to: Problem with Firefox and msnialogin.pasport.com

ActiveX is the road the exploits ride in on. If any website depends on ActiveX then Firefox, Mozilla and other browsers may fail. There is no cure planned since it's asking for exploits that IE allows.

For what few sites that don't work with Firefox, Mozilla I'll use IE. But on my list that's just one which is Windows Update.

Bob

Collapse -
In other words...

In reply to: What you need to know.

Firefox doesn't work with Microsoft's Passpoet login system, and therefore Firefox will, by design, never work with My MSN and Hotmail?

Collapse -
How odd.

In reply to: In other words...

I can use Hotmail fine. MSN is something you'll have to test and determine.

-> If you are looking for a browser that works on all sites, it's not IE, Firefox, Mozilla, Netscape or Opera. Is this a flaw?

Bob

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Perhaps I'll look up the error code

In reply to: How odd.

Collapse -
Solution...

In reply to: Problem with Firefox and msnialogin.pasport.com

In order to resolve this problem, go tools->options->advanced, expand "validation," and under OCSP, check "Do not use OCSP for certificate validation." (I'd also suggest going tools->options->privacy and clear your cache to help reduce the chances of the error reoccurring.) If that doesn't work, you'll need to uninstall Firefox (using add/remove programs), then delete your profile. (Click here for instructions, making sure you backup your bookmarks.html and bookmarks.bak files.)

Now, Hotmail is a special case. The current version works with Firefox, although you need to download eWebMail in order fr the formatting options to appear/work. (Same used to be true for Yahoo! Mail, but that was recently fixed.) With the beta version of Windows Live Mail (the successor to hotmail), though, Firefox is not an option. Upon logging in I was told that the browser is not compatible, and after proceeding I found that the page is disfigured and none of the links/options work. Thus, it appears Hotmail will soon be an Internet Explorer-only service, unless changes are made before it goes public.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Ding, Ding, Ding

In reply to: Solution...

Yeaaa, we have a winner! Thanks John, that did it. I assume changing the certificate validation process doesn't cause any security risks?

I usually use the Clear All Information button when I close Firefox, but I suppose I can just clear cache so I don't have to re-enter all the other stuff like passwords etc.

I tried "download eWebMail" but got We're sorry, but the page you requested could not be found. What is it?

Collapse -
eWebMail...

In reply to: Ding, Ding, Ding

Glad that worked! OCSP is simply an additional way to verify that a site's certificate is legitimate and still valid. It's not enabled by default, and while disabling it does remove an optional layer of security, it does not cause any security risks and never helped me while it was enabled. My setup includes ZoneAlarm Pro. firewall ($50, but home version is free), several antispyware utilities (including Webroot Spy Sweeper ($30), SpyBot (free), Microsoft Antispyware (free, Windows 2000/XP only), AdAware (free for home version), and Spyware Blaster (free)), the Netcraft Toolbar (free), which helps detect phishing sites, and the setting of Firefox to prompt before installing a cookie (go tools->options->privacy->cookies->ask me every time). While most of that is not required, and considered overkill, it has prevented me from being infected by malware (including tracking cookies) for the past several months.

As far as eWebMail goes, it's an extension for Firefox that enables the formatting toolbar in the Hotmail e-mail service. (It used to be required for Yahoo! Mail as well, but Yahoo recently patched the incompatibility issue.) To download it, click here. (Sorry about the previous link...I miss-copied-and-pasted.)

Hope this helps,
John

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!