programs: Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (post #2 linked page)
Download and scan with SUPERAntiSpyware Free for Home Users:
* Double-click SUPERAntiSpyware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
* An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
* If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download and unzip them from here.)
* Under "Configuration and Preferences", click the Preferences button.
* Click the Scanning Control tab.
* Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
Close browsers before scanning.
Scan for tracking cookies.
Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
* Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen.
* Back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
* On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
* On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan.
* Click "Next" to start the scan. Please be patient while it scans your computer.
* After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
* Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
* A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
* If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes".
One or both of these should get it. If not, probably should move over to Spyware,viruses & security forum here. See left side this page forum list. Best of luck & let us know how it goes!!
I recently got a tray icon that came up which popped up this balloon. It looked like this. http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/8348/antivirusdc3.png
The tray icon is flashing between and question mark and an 'X' When I clicked on this balloon it asked me for my email adress and password. I stopped it right there. It hasn't affected my computer that much, but when I start up my computer scvhost.exe start using 100% of the CPU for a minute or so. And after a while I get 'generic process for win32 has encountered an error' I pressed don't send and I got the system shutdown 60 seconds thing, so I typed in 'shutdown -a' to the run command and stopped it. The computer continued with full functionality after this, and the count of scvhost.exe's dropped from 6 to 5. In a few minutes svchost.exe returned. This hasn't really done anything to my computer. It still functions normally. Its just this balloon that keeps popping up is really annoying. What should I do to get rid of this? What is causing this? Could it be a virus?