Desktops forum

General discussion

Problem with DVD burner

by Jack Benesch / January 24, 2008 2:25 AM PST

Not sure if this is the right place for this but here goes.
I have a Dell dem. 8400 running xp Pro wirh all the updates.
When I go to burn jpgs. to DVD everything is fine until I click on Make Compatable. It starts then I get a blue stop screen.If I don't click Make compatiable I can open the files on my computer but it does not work on others. If I remember correctly I did not have this problem a few months ago. I reinstalled my Sonic software but that did not help. Any ideas?
Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problem with DVD burner
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problem with DVD burner
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Question. . .
by Coryphaeus / January 24, 2008 6:27 AM PST

Are you using some type of file CD/DVD, as in drag and drop, as in the disk is like a drive? If so, don't. It can be flaky and takes extra data/drivers to make the disk playable on other machines.

Collapse -
Not sure what you mean
by Jack Benesch / January 24, 2008 6:36 AM PST
In reply to: Question. . .

I copy jpg images to DVD. Everything works fine and I can open the files on the disk after burning. It's just when I click on "Make compatable" it crashes the computer.

Collapse -
I shuld mention
by Jack Benesch / January 24, 2008 6:45 AM PST
In reply to: Not sure what you mean

that the DVD burner works just fine when burning slide shows from Pro Show Gold.

Collapse -
The clue is the Make Compatible.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 24, 2008 7:08 AM PST
In reply to: Not sure what you mean

It's just a start but it means that you installed some other software to enable using the media as a big floppy. Try this. Uninstall that software and then reinstall this plus what updates they offer.

Bob

Collapse -
Not sure
by Jack Benesch / January 24, 2008 7:28 AM PST

what software that could be. What should I look for. The only thing I could find besides the Sonic DLA was Power DVD5.5. Could that be the one?

Collapse -
DLA, that's the problem. . .
by Coryphaeus / January 24, 2008 7:54 AM PST
In reply to: Not sure

DLA is a form of formatting that enables the optical drive to work like a big hard drive or floppy disk. When you "copy files" to the optical drive you are burning them but they will only work on that PC. That "Make Comatable" option is supposed to make the optical disk compatable with other PCs. It's not. As Bob said, uninstall it or use standard burning techniques. Do you have a burning program?

Collapse -
I'll give that a try
by Jack Benesch / January 24, 2008 9:16 AM PST

Are there any programs you recomend? I'm a photographer and I need to put jpgs on a DVD to give out but I have to make sure that other computers will read the files.

Collapse -
Just a note about CDBURNERXP
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 24, 2008 10:55 AM PST
In reply to: I'll give that a try

It's what I use. Try download.com

Collapse -
Thanks
by Jack Benesch / January 24, 2008 5:06 PM PST

Thanks

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.