General discussion

Problem with dual screen system

Hello all,

I would like to start by saying i am new to these forums, but here is my issue: For the past 6 months or so, my home built PC, running Windows Vista, and 2 XFX Nvidia 7900 GS graphics cards (SLI disabled), has been having a issue. I have 2 screens, a 23'' LG Flatron W2361VG, and a 20'' LG Flatron W2061TQ, the larger one being my main monitor, small one extended desktop. When I boot the computer up the pre-boot secquence, shows up on the smaller monitor, even though it is not the main, once it passes all of this and gets into Windows, it uses the larger monitor as the main one. My question is, even if my settings show it being secondary, how come it is booting up this way? And how do i fix it?

Thank you all.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Problem with dual screen system
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Problem with dual screen system
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
I cured one like that.

We swapped the vga cables, configured windows and it then did what they wanted. Sorry but that's the short version.

Good night,
Bob

- Collapse -
Re: I cured one like that

I should have mentioned that I have already reinstalled windows, and the first thing I did was swap cables, sid not work for me, but thanks for the help.

- Collapse -
The boot screen is determined by

The machine's BIOS. Swapping cables is the usual cure for this. Reinstalling Windows only shows that the person who supports you didn't explain how things work. Ouch. Why don't they tell you this?

And I was amiss in explaining swapping cables. I meant swap monitor connections. If I swapped cables the cables could be going from to the same connections!
Bob

- Collapse -
Re: The boot screen is determined by

Sorry, also should have mentioned this is a custom build, I am more hardware savy than software. I don't know much about software. So nobody really supports me. I tried everything I can think of and cannot find any setting in the bios for boot screen. Where would it be?

- Collapse -
Your choice.

I'm only sharing how I fixed it. You may have some overriding system issue where the BIOS is doing something truly odd where the old cable connection swap fails.

I'd ask the maker of the board how to fix that.

But here's the rub. It all works. Just something that some find annoying so a fix is unlikely. Here I have cured it dozens of times. And bet someday the simple fix will fail for someone or encounter someone that will not allow the swap.
Bob

- Collapse -
Normal I guess

I have a laptop, I extend the screen to a LCD TV, then I restart, the boot screen goes to secondary, but the next login screen stays at primary.

I guess this is just a feature given by the manufacturer to diagnose your system, if it fails to boot, whether it is just the main display (or VGA) is faulty, or the system can't boot.

I'm sure there's a way to tweak the settings, but I don't know how and neither do I recommend it. You'll have a hard time guessing the monitor or system's fault when the screen is blank Happy

CNET Forums

Forum Info