Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

problem with drivers on HP 2710

by jconner / July 3, 2007 5:00 AM PDT

I recently bought a Dell 420 laptop and am having trouble installing the HP 2710 printer drivers for my wireless printer. I have downloaded the latest 32bit XP (500 meg) all in one software suite and driver and when I attempt to execute it a flash HP screen appears and disappears immediately with no further execution. I have the latest XP updates and my firewall was disabled during the attempts to install the software.

Two other PC running XP on the same internal network using the original HP software work satisfactorily. The original software will not install on the Dell. Any ideas?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: problem with drivers on HP 2710
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: problem with drivers on HP 2710
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Who installed that OS?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 3, 2007 5:43 AM PDT

I am running into far too many used machines with cracked, pirate copies of XP. These show all sorts of odd issues.

Since it's a new machine, reload the OS fresh and start over.

Bob

Collapse -
Unless Dell pirated it
by jconner / July 3, 2007 8:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Who installed that OS?

The O/S is clean as is the driver. Perhaps the Dell technical group installed it wrong but I doubt if its an unlicensed copy as it was ordered direct from Dell. The printer was also purchased new and the drivers downloaded from HP.

Collapse -
Good to read that. How about...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 3, 2007 9:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Unless Dell pirated it

Some error messages such as what you find in the Event Viewer after that "flash" on the screen from the one installer?

Also, what's different from when it arrived? Some find the various protection softwares interfere with installs.

Bob

Collapse -
nothing obvious per your suggestions
by jconner / July 4, 2007 4:28 AM PDT

Nothing in the Event Viewer.

These are the applications that have been successfully installed beyond what came with from DEll and any subsequent M/S updates.

Logitech QuickCam 10.0

Delorme Street Atlas USA 2007

Worden Brother TeleChart 2007 web based Stock Analyzing Software

Charles Schwab Stock Trading web based Street Smart Pro

Adobe Acrobat 8 Standard

Collapse -
Link. Next.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 4, 2007 4:34 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?