Update. I discovered that Word documents would, in time, open (about 2.5 minutes). I decided to look for another program to examine my registry for errors that perhaps Easy Cleaner was missing. Turned out it was missing a lot. Used Glarysoft Registry Repair and found a TON of errors in the registry. Repaired them and all Word, Excel and Outlook hyperlinks are working beautifully. I have no idea how the registry got so messed up on an almost brand-new reformatted install, but hopefully now all will stay fixed.
I have searched threads but can't find a situation like the one I'm experiencing. It's driving me crazy and I hope you can help. The computer was recently reformatted and everything reinstalled. This problem developed almost immediately after programs were reloaded, but I was having some similar trouble even before the reformat -- just not as continual.
System and program data:
AMD Dual Core 4200 Processor, 2 gigs high-speed ram, NVIDA video card, two monitor array
XP Pro with SP2
IE7 (see below also IE6 and Firefox) Google toolbar installed
Office 2007 for Small Businesses ("my documents" reside on the D drive; programs on the C drive)
Spyware Doctor with Antivirus (see below, also Avast)
1. URL hyperlinks in Outlook 2007 will suddenly stop responding properly. If the page does eventually open it's very slow. Sometimes, but not always,a bit later an error of "general failure URL XXX, an error occurred sending the command to the program" (not 100% positive of the exact language there). Cutting and pasting the URL into an open IE browser window works fine and rapidly.
2. When the URLs begin to act up, at the same time I lose the ability to open any WORD and Excel documents by double-clicking the icons. I can open WORD or Excel, browse for the document from within and it opens properly.
What I've tried:
1. Uninstalling IE7, running IE6, reinstalling IE7
2. Installing Firefox and also uninstalling Firefox
3. Office diagnostics (no problems reported).
4. Repairing Office
5. Created a "test" user to see if the user settings were somehow corrupted (test user had same problems)
6. Control Panel/Add Remove/Set Defaults
7. File associations in Folder Options (unchecked DDE and rechecked -- made no difference).
8. Easy Cleaner for registry problems.
What happens when I try changing the web browser defaults and/or version:
1. The file associations and urls will begin to work properly. It will last anywhere from 10 minutes to maybe a day or two. Then they revert to erratic/nonfunctioning behavior until I try some or all of the above again.
2. Setting the defaults in the Control Panel only worked once. The rest of the time, it goes nonresponsive when applying changes.
3. Resetting IE to be the default browswer in the IE tools/internet options will go nonresponsive as well.
4. If I install Firefox, make it the default, then uninstall it, that will get everything working as a rule for a short period of time as well. When I uninstall IE7 and roll back to IE6, it works for a bit and then reverts.
5. I thought it might be Spyware Doctor and popups somehow, so I uninstalled it and installed Avast. Made no difference.
I am at a complete and total loss. All the file associations look appropriate, the paths look correct. Restore points don't seem to affect the problem. Please let me know if I have not provided complete information or haven't been clear in the description. Thanks in advance for any assistance you can give me!