Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

problem with CompactFlash reader

Hi, everyone
I hope I am posting this question in the right forum. My computer is a Dimension 4300S running Win XP Home.
I have a CompactFlash reader connected, but when I click on 'My Computer' it only lists
3 1/2 Floppy Drive (A) and CD-RW Drive (D). There is no icon for Drive (E).
I have done this sucessfully before, but this time I have disconnected, and reconnected,
and still no Drive (E) shows up.
The light indicator on the PNY unit is green, and remains green whether I have a card inserted or not.
Hope someone can tell me what's wrong.
Karin

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: problem with CompactFlash reader
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: problem with CompactFlash reader
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Problem with CompactFlash reader

In reply to: problem with CompactFlash reader

Please disregard my plea for help.
This Reader just seems to be very temperamental.
After posting my dilemma, I disconnected and reconnected the thing once more,
and this time it worked.

Collapse -
USB Underpowered

I know that you said to disregard yor plea in your second post, but I feel that many that share your problem do not understand what is happening to cause much of the problem of USB devices not being recognized.

The USB standard mandated that each USB port provide a maximum of 100 miliamps of power at each port. It also mandated that any device that is plugged into one of those ports not rquire more than 100 miliamps.

Many board manufacturers did not adhere to that requirement as well as the device manufacturers so you have two possibilities of the device not working. Add to that, the length of the cable that is used on the device eating up a few miliamps, and another problem surfaces. Some USB drives just require too much power to operate properly as well as cameras CD players etc.

You can simply purchase a Bus Powered Hub that works off of house current that provides at least 500 miliamps of current and most wayward devices will be recognized.

For further readings start with Microsofts article:

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/bus/USB/hubs.mspx

and follow up with the recommended readings from the USB group at: http://www.usb.org

Collapse -
CompactFlash reader

In reply to: USB Underpowered

Thank you so much for your time and interest.
You are right, of course, and I will follow your suggestion asap. Happy

Collapse -
USB Underpowered - need more help

In reply to: USB Underpowered

I have purchased a 4-port GE Hi-Speed USB 2.0 Hub and installed it according to the instructions.

I have also read a lot of the recommended articles, but feel confused and I don't quite understand what to do next.

My PC brings up the following:
''There are no HI-SPEED USB host controllers installed on this computer.'' How can I do this?

Intel(r) 82801 BA/BAM USB Unviversal Host Controller -2442
USB Root Hub (2 ports)
USB Mass Storage Device
Unused Port
Intel(r) 82801 BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller - 2442

My computer is a Dell Dimension 4300, running WinXP.

Collapse -
How many drive letters ?

What drive letter is your Hard disk ? Missing C: ?
There should be A:, C:, D: and E:, including your compact flash 'disk', and assuming you have only one HD and have not partitioned it.

Collapse -
drive letters and underpowered USB

In reply to: How many drive letters ?

I do have the drive letters you are asking about, namely C, A, D and E
Below is the message I get when connecting the Hub:
HI-SPEED USB Device Attached to non-HI SPEED Hub

The USB Mass Storage Device is a HI-SPEED device and will function at reduced speed when plugged into a non-HI SPEED port.

The are no HI-SPEED USB host controllers installed on this computer.

- Intel(r) 82801 BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller - 2442
- USB Root Hub (2 ports)
- Generic USB Hub (4 ports)
USB Mass Storage Device
Unused Port
Unused Port
Unused Port
Unused Port
+ Intel(r) 82801 BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller - 2444

Recommendation
The USB Mass Storage Device will function at reduced speed. You must add a HI-SPEED USB ost controller to this computer to obtain maximum performance.

I really do not have a clue what all this terminology means. Hope you can help me along or steer me to a source to learn more.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.