Cameras forum

General discussion

Problem with Canon A95 flash

by md10074 / January 10, 2007 12:21 PM PST

I bought the camera 2 years ago and it worked ok until yesterday. I turned it on and went to take an indoor picture using the auto mode and automatic flash, and the flash didn't go off. The room wasn't well lit, so it should have. I checked to make sure I didn't have the flash turned off and noticed that I could only choose between auto flash and no flash, whereas I thought there was a forced flash choice before. I tried again, and still no flash.

Then I took it outside, where it was sunny, and the flash went off on autoflash. It shouldn't have. It seems to be confusing light and dark situations.

I thought maybe I hit something by mistake and changed a setting, so I pressed the menu button to restore it to default, and the flash still won't go off indoors. I even took out the batteries and charged them up again, and then tried another set of batteries.

It's out of warranty and I probably don't want to pay to get it fixed because I just got a Nikon D50, but does anyone know why it's doing this or any way to fix it? I don't understand because it worked fine the other day and it wasn't dropped or anything. Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problem with Canon A95 flash
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problem with Canon A95 flash
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Canon A95
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / January 11, 2007 10:40 AM PST

It does sound like something is not set correctly.

Especially the part about having only two options (auto flash and no flash).

But I can't think of anything that would cause that.

Just for kicks. Put the camera in Shutter Priority mode and then check to see what flash options you find.

Collapse -
Can you post a picture?
by BowerR64 / January 11, 2007 12:00 PM PST
In reply to: Canon A95

Can you post a picture of the 2 shots?

what about ev settings? what about 2nd curtin flash? least the flash is working thats a good sign.

Collapse -
Can I post a picture?
by md10074 / January 12, 2007 9:19 AM PST

I'm not sure how to post a picture, but basically any picture I take indoors is dark and blurry. Outside seems fine.

Ev settings? I have no idea. How do I change that?

2nd curtin flash? I don't even know what that is. I read that it flashes 2 times, 1 to set the exposure and the 2nd for the picture, so is that what you mean? I'll have to take it outside in the morning to get it to flash again.

Sorry! Like I said in the other post, I just tend to put it on the automatic setting and let it do it's thing and I rarely change it except to put it in portrait or the nighttime setting.

Collapse -
Canon A95
by md10074 / January 12, 2007 9:15 AM PST

I'm a point and shoot kind of girl, so I'm not really sure how to even put it in Shutter Priority mode, but when I put it in other modes, like for Foliage, I do get the forced flash option back. Then I have 3 modes again. Only problem is that even if I set it on that, it still won't go off indoors.

Collapse -
every mode
by BowerR64 / January 15, 2007 3:21 AM PST

I think that camera remembers the settings in every mode. The wheel at the top changes the modes. Put it in "P" mode and then use the direction pad to turn the flash on and off. The flash is indicated as a lightning bolt. On the direction pad there is a little symbol that looks like a lightining bolt, that means flash. Pushing that in the camera mode will change the flash modes.

A flash symbol with a circle around it and a line threw means the flash is off. You want the lighting bolt icon to appear on the screen with a little A next to it. That means flash on auto

Indoors you want ISO 100, about 1/60 and F3 or so. If you see any of these things it should be set correctly.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!