Question

Problem with bootable WinXP hard drive (enclosure)

Hi,
My laptop recently died (motherboard likely). I took the hard drive out and put it into an enclosure. I can access the files just fine when I use the drive as a USB hard drive on another system, does not seem corrupted, ran chkdsk /f from dos, error checking from windows, disk cleanup, disk defrag, everything seems fine

BUT, when I try to use it as a bootable WindowsXP (pro) drive by selecting "boot from USB device" on my other WindowsXP system, I have no luck. What happens is this:

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change may be the cause.... options: 1) try to repair, 2) start windows normally;

whichever option I choose leads to the same result... I see the green bars sliding across the screen as windows appear to load, but then the green bars get STUCK, and then I get the BLUE SCREEN>>>

"A problem has been detected and windows shut down to prevent damaage. Check for viruses. Remove any newly installed har drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure properly configured and terminated. Run chkdsk /f to check for hard drive corruption, then restart your computer. Technical information: **STOP 0x0000007B (0X80699B0, 0xC0000034, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)
"

ANY hints ??

Thanks so much!!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Problem with bootable WinXP hard drive (enclosure)
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Problem with bootable WinXP hard drive (enclosure)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
From what I've heard, XP was built that way

I was able to do that with Win2k but not XP. XP doesn't allow it and why should it? By design, it's to be installed as one licensed copy to a PC. Putting it on an external would mean it could be moved around. Unless some hacker has figured out how to do this, it's not going to work.

- Collapse -
Answer
Big hints.

Windows in all versions, so far does not boot from USB as well rarely works when transplanted unless the machines are very very very (very!) similar.
Bob

CNET Forums