Samsung forum

General discussion

Problem with Blu Ray player BDP-1500 after firmware update

by yzulu / October 19, 2008 7:11 AM PDT

I've updated my firmware today to 2.0 from a CD successfully. The problem is that the player does not play my Blu-Ray video camera discs anymore nor any DVD that I've created the Sony Vegas. They were playable with the previous version of firmware. It only plays regular Blu-Ray movies.

Anybody still has the 080621.02.XAA (US) firmware for this player? If I can't downgrade it then I need to return it to the store as this players primary function is to play my HD camera discs.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problem with Blu Ray player BDP-1500 after firmware update
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problem with Blu Ray player BDP-1500 after firmware update
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Additional info
by yzulu / October 19, 2008 8:30 AM PDT

When I turn on the player with no disc in it, it displays a gray menu with Macrovison ... 1-for English, 2-Spanish ... I press 1 and nothing happens. Still does not plays any other disc but retail movies.

Collapse -
Other Media.....
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 19, 2008 10:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Additional info

I am looking into this. I don't know why it would lose functionality for previously accepted formats, but let me check on that.

I do have to wait until tomorrow to get some information about reverting the firmware back to its original state. Firmware packages traditionally don't allow the user to go backwards, but of course, there are some exceptions. I'd hate to send a disc to you only to find out it won't accept it.

Stay tuned!

--HDTech

Collapse -
More additional info
by yzulu / October 19, 2008 10:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Other Media.....

Whenever the 'Disc can't be played' message appears the resolution always goes back to 480p regardless what was the default. Turning off the unit and back on gets the preset resolution back.

Thank you for your help in advance.

Collapse -
Problem after updating BDP 1500 firware
by drchamoun / November 7, 2008 12:14 AM PST
In reply to: Other Media.....

I am having the same problem. Regular DVDs are not playing after update. Were playing fine before. Samsung repair saying they are aware of the problem/

Collapse -
dvd playback after firmware upgrade
by Real Kopernikus / November 30, 2008 9:31 PM PST

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem with DVD playback since firmware update v2. The most litle scratch or dust makes the bd-p1500 skip or doesn't want to play the dvd. To test it wasn't a hardware issue I downgraded my firmware back to V1.3 (who I found on a forum), and gues, all dvd are playing again, even those with scratches. But I didn't buy a profile 1.1 player, so I hope Samsung release a new firmware who fixes this problem, I already called them but they nerver head off it.... I hope it get's fixed real soon or I'm gona buy me another Blu-Ray player.

Greetz,

Nico

Collapse -
Same Problem
by jasondwinter / January 6, 2009 2:39 PM PST

I am having the same problem. I just did the upgrade to version 2.3 and still cannot play DVD's. Samsung needs to fix this problem and fast. It is one thing to not be able to play new blu-rays but is ridiculous that they can't even make the machine play standard DVD's.

Collapse -
Hang tight.
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 14, 2009 5:15 AM PST
In reply to: Same Problem

I'm working on finding out more on this - and more importantly, a solution.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Issue with 1500 after firmware upgrade.
by mcleod_holdfast / January 16, 2009 10:14 PM PST
In reply to: Hang tight.

After the upgrade I am unable to play blue-ray movies. I'm getting a message telling me that "This disk can not be played".

Is this the firm ware or has something gone wrong with the hardware? We have had the machine for 3 weeks...

Collapse -
firmware upgrade
by aquast / January 17, 2009 2:50 AM PST

This seems silly to me, but if you don't already have one, go pick up a 1 Gig USB flash drive and plug it in the back of your unit. Since the last firmware update I was having issues with certain discs and since I've installed a flash drive I have NO issues.

I realize this is probably a long shot and may not be related but if you ever plan to use the BD-Live feature (which you should disable if your not using btw) you will need this anyway and they are certainly cheap enough that it can't hurt to try.

Collapse -
any word?
by ennistwist / September 20, 2009 3:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Hang tight.

Since firmware update, my unit has not been able to play anything. any word of the solution? perhaps recall since practically everyone has the same issue.

Collapse -
Feb 2009 Firmware update
by paulgeekguy / February 28, 2009 11:21 AM PST

I updated the firmware to 090105_01_BDP1500XAA.

Now on the Band of Brothers Blu-Ray dvd's the "In the Words of Easy Company: Picture-in-Picture Commentaries" audio does not work right. All the episodes with this feature are not working. The normal versions and time line versions of the same episodes work but not the "In the Words of Easy..."

It worked before the update just fine.

Any advise?

Thanks,
Paul

Collapse -
SUPER PISSED AT SAMSUNG
by puffah / May 26, 2010 5:11 PM PDT

Ok here is the deal. I am a av tech with 22 years experience in audio video and control systems. My bdp-1500 just started to not play movies all of a sudden. Some no sound, some simply nothing at all. I guess I was putting off getting around to doing the update. So before ever seeing any of these threads on what a piece of junk this machine is, I updated it using the usb flashdrive. I followed the directions to the T. Trust me I realllllly know what I'm doing. Now the player has said firmware update now processing for over 3 hours. Whats worse is I don't know what to do. Everything I have read has said do not mess with it while its loading or it becomes a paperweight. But everything in my body says its already screwed. I have never had a update take more then 20 min on any gear in my life. So I guess no movies for tonight and it sounds like from this form till I buy a new crappy BR dvd player. WOW samsung you realllly dropped the ball on this one. And trust me you guys will be hearing from me if this is junk. Unlike all of these consumers you push around with techno babble and blame games I won't fold. That crap will NOT work with me. JERKS

Collapse -
Problem with Blu Ray player BDP-1500 after firmware update
by The_Mighty_Thor / November 19, 2010 8:42 AM PST

Irecently updated my firmware (2-3 weeks ago) so Alice in Wonderland BluRay would play. Now some standard DVDs load and display the title menu but when I attempt to go into the scene selection or any other secondary menu I get no signal on my TV. This does not occur with all DVDs and I have not seen this happen with any BluRay discs.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?