PC Hardware forum

Question

Problem with ATI HD 4350

by IzaakJC / June 25, 2012 12:54 AM PDT

Recently I tried to upgrade my graphics card, from an ATI Radeon HD 4350 512mb card to a 1GB Nvidia GT 220 card, which I had lying around in the house.

I was actually getting decent fps on the main game I play, team fortress 2, with the ATI card. But I'd recently purchased a 21.5 inch BenQ monitor which needed a better graphics card to run games on a high res. (I had previously been using what It think is a 17" old Dell monitor.) So I decided to hook up the nvidia card. However, I noticed straight away it wasn't right. After installing all the drivers, and uninstalling the ATI ones, I realised that the GPU fan wasn't actually functioning. I had plugged the fan in and it should have worked, however I booted up my PC without the side panel on and it wasn't. As soon as I boot up a game, the card rises to above 80 degrees, I get significant FPS lag, and even some quite extreme graphical glitches. So, I decided to go back to the ATI card. I sorted out all the drivers, and I assumed it would just go back to being how it was before I tried to upgrade. I put away the BenQ monitor and decided I would just keep it until I can afford a better PC. (Which is a while away, as I'm 16 and I can't really get a job.)

I quickly noticed that something wasn't quite right, as I booted up TF2 (with an FPS config too) and I was getting drops to 20 fps. This makes the game entirely unplayable. I also tried to play the Shootmania Alpha, and I realised I was getting between 30 and 60 fps, on the lowest settings. My PC isn't particularly good, but before I tried to change anything It was running tf2 and shootmania with no fps lag whatsoever. Here are my specs:

MD Phenom X4 9650 45 °C

4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 400MHz (5-5-5-18)

ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500 Series (ATI AIB)

Thanks for any help, I really miss tf2 Sad

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problem with ATI HD 4350
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problem with ATI HD 4350
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
PSU
by pgc3 / June 25, 2012 1:27 AM PDT

And what are you using for a PSU? I would also be concerned about the GPU fan and other onboard cooling but first things first.

Collapse -
psu
by IzaakJC / June 25, 2012 1:58 AM PDT
In reply to: PSU

I'm not 100% sure, but this PC was a prebuilt one, so Its fine for the card it came with (the 4350.) My problem is actually the fact that my 4350 isn't performing how it was before I took it out then put it back in, this card doesn't have a fan, just a heatsink. Sorry, my question was unclear.

I think the PSU is 200W. Whatever it is, Its enough for the card it came with.

Collapse -
Your choice on the PSU
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 25, 2012 2:22 AM PDT
In reply to: psu

You should have folk telling you that will be a problem.

However when you change video cards you get to learn about removing and reinstalling drivers for video and audio. As I don't have such a machine you have to research the web on this and keep notes about what drivers work for you.
Bob

Collapse -
Recheck the specs and find...
by Willy / June 25, 2012 2:31 AM PDT

Guessing here, but you may pushed the PSU too far when you swapped GPUs around. If your PSU is actually 200W then that's a low wattage unit. Quite frankly I wouldn't build a PC w/o at least more well into 400W+ range. It's not uncommon to have 500W+ and if you follow any of the gaming type info, many users are into 700W+. Even, if your GPU doesn't need a huge PSU, what is installed provided it physically fits still uses ONLY what it needs. Thus a larger PSU is plus to be drawn from. The PSU has a decal/sticker on it, check what it states, no guessing, know what you got. I suspect at least 350W, but report back what you find. And as the other post mentioned, a PSU maybe the crux of your problems, if the GPUs themselves aren't broken. Check the GPUs regardless, sometimes loose connections and ALL system connections when reseated. Review all areas again close-up and check operation. Offhand, i don't think you got a 200W PSU, you need more than that for your current PC as I see it. As for GPU fans, yes they do fail. Simply spin it by hand it should move rather freely but stop quickly. However, any resistance to movement is a clue it has failed, replace if possible.

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/ati-radeon-hd-4000/hd-4350/pages/ati-radeon-hd-4300-specifications.aspx

The specs for the 4350 will kick-in "thermal action" basically to save itself, thus lower output. Alas, it should have changed for the newer 21in. monitor some settings. OR you need to fine tune it for the best match which may or not be also at issue here, since the GPU has to work harder, same for either GPU card.

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt-220/specifications

The Nvidea GPU needs at least 300W, so if you have 200W that won't cut it as i posted above.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
psu
by IzaakJC / June 26, 2012 7:13 PM PDT

I misread the sticker at first, because the input was 200W. My PSU is 350 watts, so enough for the GT220. I suppose the fan on that card is just broken or something. A friend of mine recently gave me a HD6670 free of charge, which needs a 400W PSU. Do you think my problem would be fixed if I bought a 500W Power supply and used that card? Do you think its better to buy a more expensive branded PSU than a cheap one?

Thanks a lot for the help Happy

Collapse -
Here ya go
by Bob__B / June 27, 2012 2:06 AM PDT
Collapse -
More is better
by Willy / June 27, 2012 4:35 AM PDT

Comfort Zone thinking...

You can have a whopping huge PSU that powers a battleship, but the PC will only use what it needs. Further, a PSU that is rather large wattage/amps provides breathing room for the bottom end(operation) as it never gets pushed too much, which is good. A lesser capable PSU even if it provides the needed wattage/amps when operating in its upper levels is at it "optimum operation" and may not take well to added demands for long if permanent addition, like added drives, etc.. Of course, "quality matters" as cheap is cheap. So, even if you get some x-brand that provides x-wattage required may not for long if truly stressed. Now, clear as mud. So get the biggest you can afford and name brand if possible. -OR- Get the biggest PSU you can afford, yet exceeds demands well but is some unknown brand. My rule of thumb is having roughly 100W more than needed. Thus, if I need 315W, and find a 400W may do but a 500W is only $20 more, maybe its worth getting the 500W, IMHO.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
nota6670but
by IzaakJC / June 27, 2012 6:27 AM PDT
In reply to: More is better

The friend of mine actually gave me his old 4350, but he has said I can have the 6670 once he upgrades in about a month. Conveniently, in a month I can afford a new PSU. I'm from the UK, so i'm dealing in pounds sterling rather than dollars, do you reckon this would suffice? http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0050AFU46/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_d0_g147_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0782WNGG1VCEZYVWEC6N&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128533&pf_rd_i=468294

I'll buy this and hopefully my friend will be kind enough to give me the 6670, if not I'm sure I can save a little more cash and pick up a new card myself. Thanks a lot for all the help guys, just wondering if anyone knows why my GT220 fan might not be working? Its got a seperate fan wire, and I've tried plugging it into something directly on the motherboard, but it doesn't seem to work Sad

Collapse -
(NT) Corsair.....should work fine.
by Bob__B / June 27, 2012 7:23 AM PDT
In reply to: nota6670but
Collapse -
I'll get the PSU then
by IzaakJC / June 27, 2012 8:32 AM PDT

Right, I'll buy the new PSU and test it with my GT220, and if the fan still doesn't work I'll see how the 3650 runs. I'm in need of an update anyway so I'll start saving for a new card at some point. If this doesn't improve my FPS dropping I have no clue what will. As some of you may have gathered I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to this sort of thing Silly

Collapse -
(NT) Seems OK by me...good choice
by Willy / June 27, 2012 8:11 PM PDT
In reply to: nota6670but
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?