TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Problem with analog signal on digital TV

by Aqutalion / June 7, 2007 5:43 AM PDT

Recently, my old analog TV bit the dust and I replaced it with a new digital TV (both standard def). With the digital TV, the picture has very noticable horizontal lines when the image on the screen is moving quickly, and it seems to flicker a heck of a lot more than the analog one did. This happens both with the cable signal and when playing DVDs. The lines are especially noticable when using the set with game consoles (all pretty old).

I asked around a bit, and was told this was an issue with signal resolution, since the digital TVs have higher resolution that the analog signal. Are the lines and flickering a problem with all digital TVs? Is there something I can do about it? Would using better cables help (I'm using the red/yellow/white AV cables)? Is there some kind of adaptor that can turn an analog signal into a digital one?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problem with analog signal on digital TV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problem with analog signal on digital TV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
some ?
by givemeaname / June 7, 2007 6:13 AM PDT

what tv did you get?

You have a cable or satellite box?

What dvd player do you have?

Red/White & yellow, is Not the best, s-line is better, component much better & HDMI the best.

Is the 'flickering' look like refresh rate, color streaking, blocking?

It sounds like you got a LCD tv(?) & the refreash rate is 'slow'.

There is nothing that can turn analog to digital.

Collapse -
Answering your questions.
by Aqutalion / June 7, 2007 7:38 AM PDT
In reply to: some ?

To answer your questions:
I got a 27" Sharp CRT, not an LCD. The DVD player is a Panasonic DVD-R, which I'm also using as a cable tuner (if you want the exact model, I'll go find the manual and look it up). The game consoles I'm using are a SNES and a PS1.
I'm not sure what to say about the flickering, but my guess would be refresh rate. It's most noticable with horizontal lines, and looks like the picture is jumping up and down slightly. There is also the "dot crawl" effect with the game consoles and the DVD-R's menu screens.

Collapse -
AQUIT why buy a digital t.v.?
by stewart norrie / June 7, 2007 7:53 AM PDT

I have no idea what you paid for it, BUT you can buy an entry level hi-def t.v for about $500 that will give you a movie theater picture.. In closing a digital t.v. means nothing except that you will be able to see local station when they shut down all anolog transmissions A hi-def set will give you an over the air hi-def picture thjat will blow your mind please take it back sateweee

Collapse -
Take it back
by HTHMAN / June 7, 2007 6:15 AM PDT

There is no reason for flickering on OTA and DVD sources except bad connections or bad TV.

Collapse -
Causes?
by Aqutalion / June 7, 2007 7:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Take it back

So do you think using better cables would help this?
What about the horizontal lines in the picture. I may be remembering wrong, but think the effect is called "banding".

Collapse -
More info
by Aqutalion / June 7, 2007 8:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Causes?

To elaborate, I did consider exchanging the set, but when I brought my game system to the store to test it with the sets there, all the similar ones had the same banding problem (both with the system, and the broadcast they were airing). So although the flickering might be the fault of the set, that still leaves the annoying lines in the picture.

Collapse -
AQUIT WHAT STORE DID YOU BUY YOUR T.V. AT.?
by stewart norrie / June 7, 2007 8:29 AM PDT
In reply to: More info

Ok digital and e.d. sets are a dead item. I have never ever seen this problem on a hi-def t.v. What ever you paid for your digital t.v. was a waste of money unless they are giving them away ha ha. In closing The big box stores dont even carry digital or e.d. sets anymore.Like I keep telling you $500 will buy you a t,v with an eyepopping 16X9 picture why buy something that is worthless stewee

Collapse -
AQUIT LETS PUT IT THIS WAY
by stewart norrie / June 7, 2007 12:28 PM PDT

You can buy and old blown up pinto for $50.00 or a new 2007 cadillac fully loaded for $60.00 which one would you buy sorry but you are note listening to us YOUR DIGITAL T.V. IS WORTHLESS I WOULD NOT GIVE YOU $5.00 for it that is why I asked what store you bought it from because you got hosed period. sorry but some folks will not listen steweee

Collapse -
This might be a silly question, but
by HTHMAN / June 7, 2007 10:06 AM PDT
In reply to: More info

"all the similar ones had the same banding problem (both with the system, and the broadcast they were airing)"

Why did you buy it?

Collapse -
That is not banding
by HTHMAN / June 7, 2007 10:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Causes?

Banding is the same thing as False Contouring seen on some plasma or LCD TVs. Your problem is flickering. I thought that problem went away in the 60's. Sometimes you might see flickering under flouressant lights. Not to be expected and not acceptable.

Collapse -
by Aqutalion / June 8, 2007 5:23 AM PDT
In reply to: That is not banding

Okay, I get that the TV I bought is bad. But when I tested out other similar ones, they all had the same horizontal lines in the picture, while the analog set I used to have didn't. Is there anything I can do to get rid of these lines?

And as for why I didn't just buy an HDTV, I'm a bit leery of them, since when I tried my system on those, some of the pixels looked blurred together, especially in the letters, and that would be just as irritating as the lines I'm trying to get rid of.

Collapse -
That is
by givemeaname / June 8, 2007 12:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Reply

called 'mosquito noise' LCD's & DPL tv can have this, there getting better at this. Some of the 'mosquito noise' can be caused by inproper tv settings, such as inhasments set to high.

Collapse -
" ENHANCEMENTS" ??? maybe,,,,,,,,,,,
by Riverledge / June 8, 2007 3:49 PM PDT
In reply to: That is

river.

Collapse -
Mosquito noise?
by Aqutalion / June 8, 2007 4:26 PM PDT
In reply to: That is

I assume you were refering to the blurred letters? Is this a problem with all HDTVs? Are there any HDTVs that can be set to a lower resolution, like with computer monitors, so that the low-res signals look more like they do on a standard TV?

Collapse -
AQUIT WHERE DO YOU SEE THESE T.VS
by stewart norrie / June 9, 2007 4:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Mosquito noise?

Hardware store, goodwill, etc. etc. Please go to any big box store BEST BUY .is the best. place to go. Even there cheapest sets. will look as good or better than any movie palace in town You keep telling us how this store you go to has only digital t.vs and they all look horrible when in fact the oonly place you will find a digital t.v. is at the flea market There is no reason earth to buy a standard t.v and that is a digital set DIGITAL MEANS NOTHING stewee. If you paid $5.00 thats to much money sorry just the facts stewee

Collapse -
If you had actually read the post before responding...
by Aqutalion / June 11, 2007 8:02 AM PDT

...you would have seen that I had asked a question about HDTVs. I guess it was easy to miss, seeing as I only mentioned HDTV twice. Can you actually answer my question, or are you only here to make fun of people who buy things that aren't top of the line?

And since you mentioned Best Buy, I should say that that is where I bought this "garbage". As of last week, they still carried them.

Collapse -
Looked up your TV
by HTHMAN / June 11, 2007 10:04 AM PDT

Sharp 27" Standard-Definition Digital TV with Component Video Input

Model: 27SC370

With front composite and audio inputs that are great for gamers, this TV is a nice addition to your family room.

Built-in ATSC and NTSC tuners for access to both digital and analog over-the-air programming. Note: Digital content, regardless of broadcast resolution, will be displayed at standard-definition (480i) screen resolution.

Component video input makes it easy to hook up a DVD player and optimizes DVD output for stunning picture quality

Front composite and audio inputs make it easy to connect a DVD player, camcorder or game system **************

One problem is that no mater what you feed it, it will display at 480i. You can not even take advantage of a progressive scan DVD player on this display. This TV is "digital" because it has a digital tuner and can receive digital broadcasts. Even if the broadcast is in 720p or 1080i, your set will downconvert to 480i. In effect, you have an CRT analog TV with a digital tuner.

Can you pick up any analog stations on your TV, and how do they compare with the digital stations?

Moving up to component over composite cables probably will not make much difference because that TV is not capable of displaying what those cables can transmit.

You may not be sold on Hi def, but that is probably the only way you are going to get a really good picture. You are probably looking at $500+ in your size range for CRT or LCD sets.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?