Office & Productivity Software forum

Resolved Question

Problem with Access inquiries using "Like"

by Garry Kessel / January 26, 2015 6:12 AM PST

I've been having occasional problems with queries that use the "Like" operator in Access 2010. For example, when I use the query builder and type: Like"*" 7 (Enter Description) as my criteria, everything works just fine for a while. However, once I've been using the database for several days, it makes a sudden change. When I run the query, I'll get not one dialogue box that asks me to enter my description, but two. If I clear the paraeters of the query, save it, and then reenter those same parameters, the problem stops, for a short time, but over time, it happens again and again. I need the "*" operator before and after the parameter as those using the data base usually don't know that they can include it. Is there a fix for this problem? A patch that can be downloaded? Or a better way of writing the query? I've tried Like (Enter Description) & "*" but had the same problem. Thank you, in advance for your help and asssistance.

Garry Kessel has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problem with Access inquiries using "Like"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problem with Access inquiries using "Like"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by Garry Kessel

Collapse -
Re: Like
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 26, 2015 6:22 AM PST

Both
Like"*" & (Enter Description)
and
Like (Enter Description) & "*"
seem like invalid invalid string concatenations, because (Enter description) isn't a string.

Moreover it's quite unclear what you want to do. Parameters are treated as a field, so they in the query they become part of the field list in the select, the like becomes part of the where clause.

Kees

Collapse -
Re: Like
by Garry Kessel / February 21, 2015 4:07 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Like

I am posting on behalf of a friend who uses a computer in his work but does not have internet service. He made an error when he sent me the original inquiry; here is come updated and corrected information. i don't understand this so I am typing his question verbatim-

Thanks for taking the time to respond, and I apologize for the msiprint. It should have been a bracket [] not a parenthesis (). When properly done, the criteria section in the query builder says Like [enter description] & "*". I've also used Like "*" & [enter description] & "*" but each time, I have the same problem. At first, everything works just fine. When the user goes to use that query or form using that query they get a dialogue box asking them to enter a desciption with the query automatically entering the asterisk "*"operator, but over time instead of being asked only once, they're asked twice back to back. If I open the query bulder, clear and then save the criteria field and then reenter my Like [enter description] & "*" into the criteria field, everything will once again work fine for a while.

Collapse -
That free version is adware
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 21, 2015 4:27 AM PST

The freeware is ad-supported; you need to sign up every couple of weeks for a new sponsor to keep using it.

Collapse -
Strange indeed.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 22, 2015 5:09 AM PST

It looks valid and I see no reason why it would degrade over time. However, parameter queries are not standard SQL, and it's possible it's a bug in MS Access.

Things to try:
1. See if MS happened to fix in MS Access 2013 (unlikely, but possible)
2, Contact Microsoft and report it as a bug.
3. As a work-around, delete and rebuild the query via an Autostart macro. Then (if "over time" means "in a few days") you'll probably never notice it.
4. Another work-around (if not a solution): let the user type the search field in the form, as is common for search fields. Then in an on-change event fill a hidden field with "*" & field & "*" (maybe trim(field) is even better). In the query, use like [forms]!{thisform]![thishiddenfield]. Might very well work, and moreover, I find it more user friendly option than such a popup for a parameter query.

Kees

Collapse -
Re; Strange Indeed
by Garry Kessel / March 21, 2015 6:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Strange indeed.

Thanks for taking time to help. I tried your suggestion (automacro) whcih seems to be working so far. I suspect thatt he problem is, as you suggested, a ug in he software. I believe this is becuase this isn't the only time something works properly, even perfectly for a while only to later begin acting screwy. It's a bit difficult to explain but its either a bugh in Access or some sort fo corruption that occurs over time either within teh installation fo Access or the data base itself which isn't being fixedd by teh Compact abnd Repair" utility. Either way, i appreciate you takingt time out to answer my question.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?