Computer Help forum

Question

Problem with a few websites in Firefox

by zlzpqx / April 7, 2014 6:20 PM PDT

I have no idea as to why the following strangest problems have started in my Firefox browser after I (successfully) reinstalled it.

1) The window with the message "This connection is untrusted" has started appearing (which then requires a few annoying steps to "add exception") when I access SOME web sites (like Yahoo!). Until a couple of days ago, that annoying warning window never popped up for any web sites, which was perfectly fine with me; for before accessing any web site I can judge for myself without the above "warning" message, about the trustworthiness of a web site. I had no problem in the past without that "warning." How do I get rid of it?

2) After the re-installation of Firefox, most web sites continue to appear properly on my screen, but when I access a certain bookmarked Yahoo web page, in particular, instead of it appearing properly as in the past, in the strangest manner, Yahoo's ("main"?) page containing a huge number of its links has started appearing, and further even far more annoyingly, when I click on a link in it, for SOME links, the page that appears contains an OVERLAY of the previous "main" web page so that the contents of the two web pages are garbled on the screen! I had never encountered the weird overlay problem in the past. My same bookmarked Yahoo web page does continue to appear properly on my screen when I use either Internet Explorer of Chrome browsers. After encountering the above problems with Yahoo in Firefox, I even changed my password for Yahoo, thinking of the possibility that somebody might have fooled around with my access to Yahoo in Firefox browser. Changing the password did not remove the stated problems. Thinking, next of opening a new account at Yahoo as a possible remedy (and then closing the existing account), when I tried to do so, Yahoo's registration would not accept use of any password from me within Yahoo's restrictions on the alphameric composition of a password!

I do not know if any experts can figure out, through imagination, the source(s) of the above multiple weirdest problems and then suggest solutions.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problem with a few websites in Firefox
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problem with a few websites in Firefox
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Both of these
by Jimmy Greystone / April 7, 2014 11:02 PM PDT

Both of these point to some kind of malware infection of your system. Specifically one that has also likely compromised your ability to view secure/encrypted sites safely, which is why you're getting that warning message. Though I have run into the error you describe when trying to use Firefox at work where they have a proxy that basically intercepts even SSL traffic for virus scanning. Chrome on Windows just uses Internet Explorer's settings and security certificates, whereas Firefox has a complete top to bottom implementation of that. So in that sense, Firefox can be the canary in the coal mine, so to speak, by alerting you to an attempted man-in-the-middle type attack that both IE and Chrome will never trouble you about and allow your passwords and other sensitive content sent over seemingly secure connections to be siphoned off to who knows where for who knows what.

Still, just to be sure on the second issue, did you try manually navigating to the page of your yahoo bookmarks? Instead of using your bookmark, going to the main yahoo website and then making your way from there to whatever section of it you're looking for. It's possible that somehow along the line your Firefox bookmark was corrupted and simply needs you to recreate it.

Collapse -
Answer
Just In Case It's Malware
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 8, 2014 12:59 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?