Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Problem with a Book on CD

I recently converted one of my Books on Tape to MP3 format so that I could play it in my car. The CD would not play in the vehicle or on my settop player. Both came up with a ?Bad Disk? message. The same CD plays Ok on my computer using Windows Media Player.

In the past I have encoded much of my personal music collection to MP3s that play both in my car and on the settop. In the current project I captured the tape using GoldWave audio program and then saved them in the MP3 format using the LAME encoder set at a 128K setting. The only aspect that I think might be different now is that the files are about 30 minutes each.

I am using Win. XP and a Pioneer DVD burner. I copied the files to the CD using Roxio Drag-to-Disk.
The CD in question had 285mb in 8 files.

My questions!
Is there a maximum file size for MP3s?
Can anyone give me any other hints, or items to investigate?

Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problem with a Book on CD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problem with a Book on CD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"I copied the files to the CD using Roxio Drag-to-Disk."

In reply to: Problem with a Book on CD

I'd not do that and try making a data CD without the drag feature.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks

In reply to: "I copied the files to the CD using Roxio Drag-to-Disk."

Thanks for your sugestion. The new CD works.

Now can you tell me how to control where the files reside by track?

The 8 files were shown in the proper sequence (alphabeticly) when they were loaded into Roxio Create a Disk. When the CD starts in my vehicle the info says it is starting on track 1, but that is actually file 7.
Moving from track 1 to 8, the file sequence is 7,8,5,6,1,2,3,4.

The vehicle seems to also sense folders which I did not include. Do you think that might be a way to control the sequence?

Collapse -
I'd rename the files to simple short names.

In reply to: Thanks

Some players only understand the 8.3 names. So try...

1.mp3
2.mp3
3.mp3
etc.

Sorry there is no standard here so I can't tell you the solution, only guess.

Bob

Collapse -
More Info

In reply to: I'd rename the files to simple short names.

You have probably hit on the right key to the problem!

I went ahead and made another CD and added folders which I had numbered 01,02...08 and placed I file in each folder. That at least started the play at a proper point. I'm not sure yet if it will play all the folders in sequence.

I have another to do, and will try the 8.3 file names and let you know the results.

Thanks agin for your help. Oh those thousand details that always seem to interfere.

Collapse -
Either Way

In reply to: I'd rename the files to simple short names.

As promised, I tried making the file names 8.3.

That played the files in the order expected.

On the other hand putting one file in each numbered folder also worked perfectly, and moved from one floder to the next when the file finished.

Collapse -
Thanks for the report back.

In reply to: Either Way

I think you have it well under control now.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.