HolidayBuyer's Guide

TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Problem wit surround sound on Vizio JV50P

by NikRik / September 26, 2008 10:59 PM PDT

I just purchased a 50" plasma HDTV ,this TV has built in surround sound ability and comes with two sattlelite speakers and a subwofer . problem # one is when I turn off the TV a rather large lite on the subwofer that stays on when yopu have the surround sound paired with the wireless speakers and subwofer and TV will continue to blink when TV is off and it does not stop unless you unplug the subwofer . Another problem with the surround sound is in the manual it says when Iam getting true 5.1 dolby digitial surround sound a red lite on the TV lower right hand speaker will lite up displaying 5.1 in red ,I've yet to been able to get this lite to appear even when putting a movie in my DVD player that says it has 5.1 surround sound and Dolby Digitial ,my DVD a Samsung also says Dolby Digitial on the front panel ? I have this set hooked up via coaxail cable and SPFID with the DVD player. Now I may have it configured incorrectly , I have the DVD set to AV1 and the red white and yelow plugs attached to the rear of the DVD player ! In settings I have the surround sound set to sterio and it does not give me a cable option for the TV in surround sound settings only SPFID, Component 1,Conponent 2 ,HDMI option which I have a 6ft cable for however my settop box a motarola digitial does not have and input or output plug for .Can anyone point me in the correct direction to get true HDTV and 5.1 surround sound on this otherwise very nice 50" Plasma TV by Vizio modle JV50P HDTV 10A !
Thank You Very Much
NikRik

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problem wit surround sound on Vizio JV50P
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problem wit surround sound on Vizio JV50P
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
+
by jonnybones / September 28, 2008 3:44 PM PDT

First Suggestion: Ditch Vizio's claimed surround sound, get a REAL surround sound system. You can pick up a decent one for ~$300

Second Suggestion: Refer to first suggestion

Collapse -
Mono because red/white cables don't do 5.1 ****....
by givemeaname / September 28, 2008 5:12 PM PDT
In reply to: +

I would not say 'decent' but better then... at that price Happy

why have the DVD player hooked up with yellow cable??????? Silly
If it is an upscaling dvd player your Not getting ANY upscaling, you have to use HDMI or no joy.

**** & your getting mono (2.0) only because you just feeding mono to the tv, IE White/Red cables, run toslink... this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOSLINK

then you will get 5.1 DD

What is "SPFID" ????????????????????

Collapse -
My apoligies ?
by NikRik / September 28, 2008 10:33 PM PDT

I apoigize I meant to write the SPDIF inputs at the rear of the DVD player,its also a setting option on the TV under the audio heading as a input choice ! For the DVD I have it set to AV1 ! I was not getting any sound from the sattlelite speakers or the subwofer until I set the audio to sterio? So Iam a little confused that Iam now being told that Iam only recieving mono. Now I seem to be having some static and once in awhile Iam getting a poping sound from the sattlelite speakers . I however read with wireless this is a common problem since I live in a multible dwelling building I will get interferance from corless phones and other items that also use the air waves. I shortened the setting for the distance of the wireless speakers in audio and it seems to have helped the problem. Iam going to contact Comcast cable and ask about getting a set top box with HDMI capabilities ! Also I read at Comcast web site something about the box I have needing a input card to get HDTV ,there is a slot at ther rear of the box for such a card ? All the reviews I've read on this TV none of them mentioned that this as not true surround sound or suggested getting a additionial surround sound system ? This was one of the $ saving benifits of the TV ,of course I do not expect it would be a top of the line surround sound setup ! Any additionial suggestions would be grealty appreciated !
Thank You ,Nick

Collapse -
by givemeaname / September 29, 2008 5:00 AM PDT
In reply to: My apoligies ?

if I am reading you right you have the DVD player connected via yellow for video & Red/White for audio... if your player has an HDMI port USE THAT.. it will carry 5.1 audio to the tv & upscale the video.
You can get an HDMI1.3a spliter cheap, 4 to 1 for about $40 if your concerned about lack of HDMI ports on your tv....

http://www.monoprice.com/products/department.asp?c_id=102&CartID=&style=

mostliky the tv is spliting the front audio with the back speakers to fill in that area, that is diffrent from real surround sound, where each speaker independently gets "data" & the sub sould not be working at all with that dvd player set-up (red/white).

for hd tv besides you have too get a new box (HDbox) you have to sign-up for there HD package... look around at Dishnetwork or DirectTv offers too, you will mostliky get more HD channels with one of them & better PQ then cable HD.

I think the card thing your talking about is "Cable Cards", some of us here don't like them (I am one). 1 your tv has to have a cable card slot, not all tv's have them, most company's have stopped putting them in there tv's; adds cost & most people don't use them or like them.
Pro's: you don't have a box
Con's: you still have to rent them, No DVR, No On demand video, No program guide

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-8900_7-5581176-1.html

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.