General discussion

Problem wih opengl32.dll

Asus P5W DH Delux..4 sticks 1g ram...ATI x1900xtx video w/512ram.. 2 HD's...C: partition only supposed to hold the
XP PRO w/SP2..
I had a video problem.. really weird like it lost its refresh sync. replaced vid card - same x1900
same problem...replaced the mobo..same p5w..same problem.
reinstalled all drivers-vid and mobo..updated all drivers..updated the bios.. still same problem.
without thinking since I was in the reload frame of mind and tired - reloaded xp with overwrite..
without backup first. dumbo here. then reloaded my last backup - which I am embarrassed
was a year ago. cant believe I was so busy I hadnt backd up in so long.
same problem. then the next day started it up and it went black - no power.
Replaced the thermaltake 750w with a cheaper brand 750w.. Ta Da.. fixed problem.
Went to play COD #1 ... "" cant load opengl32 ""
I have reloaded cod.. same prob.. copied opengl32.dll from my older pc that plays it just fine. had probs due to '' duplicity '' meaning I had to copy to the cach first.. which brought up and message about '' insert xp disk in drive ' .... did it and it copied the opengl to both
places ( I had deleted the one in system32 and cach).
Still same problem.
I just backed up the c: drive in multi bkups. windows, system state, system volume, DocSetgs/program files.
SO.. before I reload win with format... any ideas what can be done to clear up this opengl32 problem to
forstall a hell of a lot of reinstalls of programs ? ?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Problem wih opengl32.dll
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Problem wih opengl32.dll
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Comments about 4GB and a 32 bit OS.

If you research this you find that 4GB RAM can introduce problems for a 32 bit OS. This is not an offer to solve this issue as folk smarter than me are failing this one. It's like a 10 gallon hat and 20 gallons of content. It doesn't fit. Today I stop at 2GB for 32 bit OSes to allow the other 2GB for mapping of the BIOS, video ram and everything else and have no issues with those machines.

And of course we run into that "it worked before" issue. Before what is where the discussion leads to. If it is some mass update of drivers then I might try the driver that installs opengl. But this one has yet to have a single cure. That is, one cure does not work on the next machine.

HOWEVER! Reading:
http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=276071#Post276071 agrees with my thought that we should not be copying this file around the machine. We should be deleting all copies then installing the video driver we found to work.

Good luck,
Bob

- Collapse -
opengl32 problem SOLVED

I continuously ran into more and more problems. then, it went to ' power off '.
I dont mean it restarted - just flat out power off. LOL LOL I had run out of
space on my c: partition. LOL funny how MS warns you of everything in the book
except that ' hey dummy - no room left '
deleted a bunch of stuff. back to the problem.
Clean install w/format. Ta-Da Even with all the old drivers and no updates, the
game ran no problem. started to enter mobo drivers, and was going to do vid drivers
but during the previous mad rushing around I wondered about the new ati 'legacy' crap update at 75mb with all the controls that are never used (by me anyway) I had downloaded. went to MS update - they had one - did that. all still good.
I thought I had copied the last desktop file but couldnt find it so went with a prev
copy - Sooo... now its just trying to go thru everything to get the things I use setup.
thanks profit.. your link was insightful and I found another that had some ideas, but
nothing worked. there were some reg keys that I deleted with null char in them that would
not let me fix another (deleted them to fix it) problem so I be thinkin that there was some related to the opengl.
I have W7 loaded on another (new) HD that I am going to swap in to see whats up - so
I may be back LOL LOL
ted

problem.

CNET Forums

Forum Info