Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Problem w/ Nav 2003, need help

by Dorothy M / October 6, 2004 2:17 PM PDT

all of a sudden I cannot update my virus defs with Live Update. Nor can I install the defs with Intelligent Updater.

I don't know what to do, can anyone help? This just started 2 days ago after an update was installed for Liv Reg.

Thanks, Dorothy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problem w/ Nav 2003, need help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problem w/ Nav 2003, need help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Problem w/ Nav 2003, need help
by Donna Buenaventura / October 6, 2004 7:24 PM PDT

Hi Dorothy,

What is the version of LiveUpdate? The current version is 2.5.56.0. If your version is earlier than 2.5.56.0, try installing the current version on top of the existing version. The installer will automatically remove the old version. You can download it from http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/files/lu/lu.html
There are 2 files available:
Get the file: lusetup-lt.exe <-- this is for home users

Reboot the system after installing LU 2.5.56.0
Try to connect to LiveUpdate server again by running LU. See how it goes.

If the above will not solve the problem, try repairing LU by following the steps provided by Symantec in Repairing LiveUpdate

If repairing did not help, try visiting the Support Assistant (online) to scan the Symantec products/components that are currently installed in your computer. See the scan result. Symantec Support Assistant

Collapse -
by auggief / October 6, 2004 7:31 PM PDT

After reading your post, I checked my Nortan AV and found that the Automatic Liveupdate had been turned off. I sure didn't do it. I turned it back on and also updated vrsion of liveupdate per Donna. I had to use the larger update. Guessing it is because I also Have Norton Personal Firewall.

Collapse -
by Dorothy M / October 7, 2004 6:34 AM PDT

Live Update is enabled. I ran the Online Support Assistant and it came back and told me to upgrade. Nav 2003 is no longer supported.

I guess that is the only choice I have, unless someone else has an idea.

Dorothy

Collapse -
by Donna Buenaventura / October 7, 2004 6:51 AM PDT

AFAIK, it's still supported. Anyway, did you try repairing LU and/or are you using current version of LU?

Collapse -
by Dorothy M / October 7, 2004 10:38 AM PDT

Yes I did install the latest version of Live Update after I first had the problem.

The Support Assistant only came back and told me to upgrade and that 2003 was no longer supported.

Thanks Donna, I don't know what else to do.

Dorothy

Collapse -
by John Robie / October 7, 2004 10:54 AM PDT

Did Norton's come back with a link that you can post here that told you to upgrade as they don't support vs 2003. Something just don't sound right that I would like to persue with Norton. I have recently used Norton AntiVirus vs 2003 getting updates and they never told me they do not support.

Collapse -
by Dorothy M / October 8, 2004 11:55 AM PDT

Below is what they said for NAV 2003: The Support Assistant told me to upgrade. Knowledge Base articles is all there is and the error LU 1847 could not be found.

Some of the Liveupdate files are reported to be corrupt when I run Liveupdate.

"Support Alert! Email and telephone support for your product were discontinued on September 8, 2004. Please continue to use our Knowledge Base and other automated support options for your product."

There is no answer there, any ideas?

Dorothy

Collapse -
Dorothy, if you are receiving LU1847 error message
by Donna Buenaventura / October 8, 2004 6:10 PM PDT
Collapse -
by John Robie / October 9, 2004 2:15 AM PDT
Collapse -
by John Robie / October 7, 2004 11:07 AM PDT

Also can you give the URL of the Support Assistant you used?

What is your subscription renewal date?

Collapse -
by John Robie / October 7, 2004 11:49 AM PDT

Please try here:

http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/nav/nav_2003_tasks.html
and type in Live Update. Put a dot in the button next to "Norton AntiVirus Knowledge Base" will give you 116 results that you can search. Then go back and put a dot in the button "All knowledge bases" will give you 500 more results to search.

I notice that site does say:

"..Email and telephone support for your product were discontinued on September 8, 2004. Please continue to use our knowledge base and other automated support options for your product."

Collapse -
by John Robie / October 7, 2004 12:01 PM PDT
Collapse -
by Dorothy M / October 8, 2004 12:02 PM PDT

Been there and my problem is not covered.

My subscription ends in May 2005. It woud appear upgrading is my only option.

Dorothy

Collapse -
by John Robie / October 8, 2004 3:08 PM PDT

There should be some sort of popup or notice, even something like "Error........". Could you please state the exact thing(s) that your computer tells you.

I have been using Nortons AntiVirus for more than 5 years and the only thing that happened to me was Live Update quit working this past January, and I was also using the 2003 version then. I received a error notice and with my research in Symantec was able to get it resolved from just reading and trying what their site suggested.

Since you are paid up, I would not give up.

JR

Collapse -
by Dorothy M / October 9, 2004 5:18 AM PDT

The error message is:

"LU1847 liveupdate could not determine if there is an update for this product because the update list for this product is corrupted."

On Symantic the instructions to correct the problem are for Norton 2004.

Dorothy

Collapse -
by John Robie / October 9, 2004 8:09 AM PDT

Run a search on your PC to see if you are using an enterprise product such as Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition 7.0.
Run a search on your PC for NetZip and ZipMagic.

Re: " Follow the instructions in this section if you are using a consumer product such as Norton AntiVirus 2004". Please notice the words "such as" which doesn't eliminate 2003. I would go ahead and follow the instructions.

Then of course it seems you may have a bootleg copy on your PC since you do not have a CD to reinstall which may solve the problem.

If all of the above fails, I personally would uninstall NAV as new definitions arrrive almost daily. Then install the free AVG, keeping it updated. Then watch for sales of NAV or Norton Systems Works (which has NAV). If you had the box that NAV came in or the Manual to prove purchase of NAV, you may be able to get the latest free with rebates. I have been able to get Norton Systems Works free after sales and mail in rebates every year since the 1st one I bought in 1999.

Collapse -
by Brent Welch / October 9, 2004 8:20 AM PDT
"Then of course it seems you may have a bootleg copy on your PC since you do not have a CD to reinstall which may solve the problem."

Symantec also sells NAV via download, in which case a person wouldn't have a CD, unless you save the setup program to one.
Collapse -
by John Robie / October 9, 2004 8:28 AM PDT

Thanks Brent, I didn't know that. I'll have to see how they handle it when I go to get my free Norton Systems Works for 2005 whenever it shows up in the numerous ads for sale and rebates. They have always wanted the UPS code from off the box or a certain page out of the manual to prove purchase. Guess they have a procedure for download off the net??

Collapse -
by Dorothy M / October 9, 2004 11:50 AM PDT

I don't have the corporate version.

I do have ZIP MAGIC which is why I had trouble installing via the updater after disabling it I was able to install the 10/7 defs.

I purchased 2003 on a download and not disk, so I am
legally using it.

I already purchased 2005 for 29.95 just have not installed yet.

I think there are corrupt files in liveupdate and the steps to delete are rather cumbersome which is why I purchaed the upgrade.

The problem is not a simple one and without Symantec Tech Support, which is no longer available it just seemed to upgrade was easier.

Dorothy

Collapse -
by Brent Welch / October 8, 2004 12:34 PM PDT

Dorothy,

Have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling NAV 2003 to see if that might correct the problem?

Collapse -
by Dorothy M / October 8, 2004 1:36 PM PDT

No I Haven't I just thought upgrading was the lesser of 2 evils. I also don't remember if I have it on disk. I can check to see if I copied the setup to disk.

Will look tomorrow.

Thanks Dorothy

Collapse -
by John Robie / October 8, 2004 3:19 PM PDT

RE: "I can check to see if I copied the setup to disk."

Opps....that could be the problem. You don't have the original $$ CD??

Norton's has started something like Microsoft did with the WinXP Operating System on CD...if you didn't get an authorized original copy....

Collapse -
by Dorothy M / October 9, 2004 5:21 AM PDT

I checked all my disks. The only one I have is for Norton 2001.

Dorothy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?