General discussion

Problem upgrading to Windows Xp Service Pack 3

Hi. I recently used the Operating System disk for my Dell Dimension 4500s to reinstall Windows XP. When installing, I got a message that said that there were missing files. My only option was to skip the file and continue installing XP. I did this, and things appeared to be fine. I then tried to upgrade to Windows XP Service Pack 3, but the install was unsuccessful on multiple attempts, and my computer would get screwed up and I would have to reinstall XP all over again, again skipping the missing files. This is a major inconvenience to me, since I can?t download any software because almost all software needs XP Service Pack 2 or later or else it can?t be installed. What can I do to upgrade successfully to Service Pack 3? Thank you.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Problem upgrading to Windows Xp Service Pack 3
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Problem upgrading to Windows Xp Service Pack 3
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Sounds like

Sounds like either the disc Dell sent you is bad, or your DVD drive is starting to fail. Take the disc to another system, and run a verification program on it. That should tell you if it's the disc or the drive.

- Collapse -
Microsoft Has An Article About That..

See the information in the link below:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=257954

In the few situations where I've seen this issue, as Jimmy mentioned above, it was the result of a bad XP installation disc or a failing DVD/CD drive.. Last week, I had the problem on a customer's computer and swapping in a different DVD drive fixed the problem so a good install of XP could take place..

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
Do this

I have many Dell computers on our network and they did seem to have issue4s upgrading to WXP SP3. A lot of the time you would load the SP3 upgrade and it went very fast and ask you to restart, then the system would be SP2 still. What we had to do was do to windows update and download the most recent version of windows guine advantage tool. After we ran that and the system was verififed we were able to upgrade to SP3. Give it a try, redownload the latest GAT.

CNET Forums

Forum Info