Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

PC Hardware forum

Question

Problem unscrewing motherboard from case

by eddiener / July 4, 2014 8:54 AM PDT

I need to move one of my mobos ( along with peripherals and add-on boards ) to another computer case. All has gone well with removing all my peripherals and add-on boards from the old case but when I have tried to remove the mobo a two of the screws cannot be unscrewed. They were held to the bottom of the old case with metal clips. I could eventually remove the mobo by forcing out the metal clips but no matter what I try I cannot seem to unscrew either of the screws from its metal clip. Whether I hold the metal clip on the bottom of the mobo in place and unscrew the screw, or whether I hold the screw in place and turn the metal clip on the bottom of the mobo, the threads holding the screw to the metal clip are not unloosening the screw from the metal clip.

I seem stymied. The only practical solution I can think of is to cut through the area holding the metal clip on the bottom of the case with some sort of small blowtorch-like device, if something like that exists, but naturally I am afraid any heat I apply will damage the mobo.

Thoughts ? Suggestions ? I really need to get these clips off so I can transfer my mobo to another computer case I have since it is my main desktop computer.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problem unscrewing motherboard from case
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problem unscrewing motherboard from case
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Get a drill
by itsdigger / July 4, 2014 9:05 AM PDT

just the same diameter as the screw and drill through the head of the screw .

Digger

Collapse -
I have a drill
by eddiener / July 4, 2014 12:44 PM PDT
In reply to: Get a drill

I have a drill. But the screw is flush on top of the mobo and if I drill through the head of the screw I have to be very careful not to damage the mobo. I have one of these manual "Kobalt High Speed Steel" cutters. I might try to cut the metal clip on the bottom in order to remove it and free each screw.I think the blade might be able to cut through the metal clip.

Collapse -
Hey, Go for it
by itsdigger / July 4, 2014 12:57 PM PDT
In reply to: I have a drill

I only know my abilities and I'd have those screws drilled out and the motherboard in the new case right now. I can do more damage with those cutters.

Best of luck
Digger

Collapse -
Answer
(NT) Can you remove the plate/tray the MB is mounted on ?
by VAPCMD / July 4, 2014 10:08 AM PDT
Collapse -
Mobo can be removed
by eddiener / July 4, 2014 12:39 PM PDT

As I explained:

"I could eventually remove the mobo by forcing out the metal clips but no matter what I try I cannot seem to unscrew either of the screws from its metal clip."

So I could remove the mobo but the clip is still holding on to the screw in both cases.

Collapse -
Dremel
by Steven Haninger / July 5, 2014 4:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Mobo can be removed

Grind it off.

Collapse -
Point is I'm thinking it's easier to remove the screw and
by VAPCMD / July 5, 2014 5:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Mobo can be removed

the metal mount once the MB is removed from the case. Been a long time since I've seen/used anything but a brass or plastic standoff in mounting a MB. If memory serves me correctly, the metal mounts had to be squeezed to lock in the MB plate.

Collapse -
Answer
take off the other side of case
by James Denison / July 7, 2014 12:02 PM PDT

You probably can see the pop in clips from there, use a needle nose pliers and squeeze the clip together and get it out of the motherboard tray which the mobo is attached to. Also some motherboard trays are removable which makes it even easier. Drilling puts lots of metal filings in places you don't want them like under mobo components where they can cause shorts.

Collapse -
(NT) The MB was out of the case
by itsdigger / July 7, 2014 2:23 PM PDT
Collapse -
it means it's stripped then
by James Denison / July 8, 2014 2:19 AM PDT

Only way to do that is put pliers on the clip and pull while unscrewing it to get past the stripped area.

Collapse -
Success removing mobo
by eddiener / July 8, 2014 4:53 AM PDT

I managed to unscrew one of the two screws after applying pressure to the screw. For the other one I took my blade and was able to cut off the clip in the back of the mobo without damaging the mobo with my Kobalt cutter. So my mobo was now free and I was able to reseat it in a better case with better temperature control, and now my system is running cooler.

Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions !

Collapse -
(NT) Good to hear and Thanks for the feedback.
by VAPCMD / July 8, 2014 12:42 PM PDT
In reply to: Success removing mobo

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!