Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Problem shutting down

by January47 / March 4, 2005 12:46 AM PST

I have Windows ME. Many times when I click on "shut down" my screen goes off but my cpu continues to run and won't stop. So I have to turn it off manually which results in a long scanning process the next time I turn it on. Would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problem shutting down
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problem shutting down
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
shutting down ME
by newell1967 / March 4, 2005 1:05 AM PST
In reply to: Problem shutting down

I not sure if this will help but sometimes my son has the same problem. I've found that if he's been online and shuts down to quickly that problem occurs. I told him to slow down a little give the computer a chance. After he's offline I have him right click on the little monitors in the lower right hand corner and hit disconnect. When he does this we hardly have any problems. hope this might help.

Collapse -
Shutting Down ME
by January47 / March 4, 2005 7:11 PM PST
In reply to: shutting down ME

Thank you newell1967 for your reply. I will certainly give this a try.

Collapse -
Shutting Down ME
by Blue_Zee / March 5, 2005 2:46 AM PST
In reply to: Shutting Down ME

Try shutting down (CTRL-ALT-DEL) tasks and programs one at a time before shutting down the PC.

You may find the culprit that way.

Also worth reading and testing:

WINDOWS SHUTDOWN & RESTART CENTER
TROUBLESHOOTING in 15 STEPS
http://www.aumha.org/win4/a/shutdown.htm

Zee

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.