Samsung forum

General discussion

Problem seeing Pioneer VSX-918V menu on Samsung LN52A750

by FatAzzRunner / March 1, 2009 7:56 AM PST

I decided to try to save some money (probablly a mistake) on hooking up my home theater.

I just got a new Samsung LN52A750 and a new Pioneer VSX-918V along with a few other components. I was trying to tune my JBL home theater speakers through the MCACC funciton that Pioneer has. The manual says to hit receiver then Setup on the remote and the process for tuning the speakers will appear on the TV screen.................well, that doesnt happen for me.

I have an HDMI cable connecting my Pioneer DVD Player to the tuner and an HDMI cable connecting the tuner to the TV.

Does any of this sound like something is wrong, something that would cause me to not be able to see the menu from the receiver on the TV screen?

PLEASE HELP!!

Thanks,

Aaron

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problem seeing Pioneer VSX-918V menu on Samsung LN52A750
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problem seeing Pioneer VSX-918V menu on Samsung LN52A750
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Error message
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 1, 2009 12:08 PM PST

Aaron,

Are you receiving an error message that notes "Mode Not Supported" when you try to bring up that menu? Or is it just not coming on at all?

--HDTech

Collapse -
error message
by FatAzzRunner / March 1, 2009 12:36 PM PST
In reply to: Error message

just not coming up at all.

The Pioneer book says to push the buttons I talked about and it shows nothing on the screen.

I tried switching the source to everything on the screen and it didnt matter if it was TV, AV1 or HDMI1, nothing worked.

THanks for any help you can give me.

Aaron

Collapse -
No menu.... but picture?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 1, 2009 1:22 PM PST
In reply to: error message

Are you even getting picture from the Pioneer to the television? Or is it just the menu not popping up?

--HDTech

Collapse -
No menu.... but picture?
by FatAzzRunner / March 2, 2009 3:16 AM PST

No picture from the receiver showing Pioneer.

Now, I also have a Pioneer DVD player and its menu shows up and I can watch movies on the DVD with surround sound on the TV, just not seeing anything on my TV screen from the receiver.

Sorry about the newbie-ness of these questions.........If you cant tell, I am VERY new to this and seem to be electronically challenged.

Collapse -
n00bs welcome!
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 2, 2009 12:20 PM PST

FatAzzRunner,

What are you sending through the receiver to the television? Are you sending a signal that the receiver is capable of? Some can do 480/720/1080 and a combination therein through different connections.

If you tell me what you've got, and what you want to do with it, I may be able to help you out. But I'll need to know what kind of connections you're using, and you'll need to know what resolutions your equipment can support.

We're here to help!

--HDTech

Collapse -
n00bs welcome
by FatAzzRunner / March 2, 2009 8:27 PM PST
In reply to: n00bs welcome!

Right now, my issue is that I have hooked up a Pioneer VSX-918V to run the surround/theater sound for my Samsung LN52A750 as well as my Pioneer DVD player.

There is a function on the Pioneer VSX-918V called MCACC that has me plug in a microphone in the middle of my living room and the revceiver runs through a series of sound tests and calibrates your speakers for the best sound for your speaker set up. The manual for the Pioneer VSX-918V says to hit receiver button on the Pioneer remote then the Setup button on the remote and the process (menu)for tuning the speakers will appear on the TV screen..............well, that doesnt happen for me.

I have an HDMI cable connecting my Pioneer DVD Player to the tuner and an HDMI cable connecting the tuner to the TV.

I am not understanding what you mean by what kind of connections I'm using but I know when I put a DVD in my player, the screen says 480p on it. I also have a PS2 and Wii hooked up and that will appear on the screen without issue.

I hope this helps cause if it gets much more technical than this I may have to have my 9 year old help me answer. Sad

Collapse -
The answer you need...
by hecaworld / March 3, 2009 4:29 AM PST
In reply to: n00bs welcome

is that for the receiver menu to show up on the TV you have to use the component connection from the reciever to your TV. The receiver does not pass the menu through HDMI which is why you aren't able to see it. I have both of these components hooked up and and works fine when you run the component, somewhere this detail is buried in the pioneer owners manuel.

It stinks that you can't get away with just an HDMI running from the receiver to the TV but it is how pioneer configured it.

Collapse -
The answer you need
by FatAzzRunner / March 3, 2009 11:41 AM PST
In reply to: The answer you need...

So, I need one of the blue, red and green connection component cable....is that right?

If that is all this is, I will be a happy guy.

Collapse -
thats right
by hecaworld / March 4, 2009 1:06 AM PST
In reply to: The answer you need

that is all you need. Plug that into your compnonent out from your receiver into your component in on the TV. Turn your TV to that input with the remote and hit the menu button on your receiver and you will see it. Also, if you plug in an ipod into the receiver you will see the ipod menu on your tv by following these steps.

Collapse -
thats right
by FatAzzRunner / March 4, 2009 1:20 AM PST
In reply to: thats right

THANKS A TON!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will be stopping at the store on the way home from work.

I really appreciate it.

Collapse -
Really?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 4, 2009 9:30 AM PST
In reply to: thats right

Wow!

Thanks for jumping in!

--HDTech

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?