Mac OS forum

General discussion

problem restoring system

by amirzahi / July 27, 2009 12:16 PM PDT

Hi guys,

I have a 13" macbook with an intel core/ 2.1 GHZ/120 GB hard drive/2 GB memory. I got it with OS 10.4, but then got the leopard upgrade dvd free when it was released. Recently through a series of unforeseen events I ended up with my hard drive scrubbed clean of everything (OS et. all) I figured it wouldn't be that big a deal. I can just pop in the restore dvds that I got with my mac and I'll be good to go.
Problem: I go through the installation process until I get to the step where it asks me to select what 'volume' I'd like to install everything on except that it won't give me any options. It doesn't show my hard drive. It gives me a blank and so I can't continue.
I'll confess that I don't really know all that much about troubleshooting with macs... I'm not exactly a recent convert, but since I've never really had any problems with it I haven't exactly had the chance to learn. (a little ironic, but mostly annoying)
I bet it's something really obvious....it always is.

thanks in advance

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: problem restoring system
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: problem restoring system
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Define "Scrubbed Clean"
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 27, 2009 11:28 PM PDT

It's possible that the OS installer does not even see your internal HD because it is not formatted in anything that it can recognize.
Run the installation software again and after about the second step you will see the menu bar appear at the top of the screen.
Choose Utilities (or words to that effect) and then Disk Utility.
Initialize the drive as HFS+(Journaled) with a GUID table.(It will probably default to this table)
Initialize.
Restart and go through the install process again. This time you should see the disk as a destination option.

Of course, the other option is that the drive is totally messed up and does not work at all.

P

Collapse -
Totally messed up drive
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 27, 2009 11:59 PM PDT

If the drive you are trying to initialize does not appear in Disk Utility, see previous post, then it is a reasonable bet that this drive is now an ex drive!

Replacement, which is very easy and only requires a phillips head screwdriver, is relatively cheap.

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.