Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

problem opening ae-mail attachments and links

by cubboy / October 6, 2004 11:29 PM PDT

Any help would be appreciated! I have Windows ME and my internet provider is Netzero. Recently, I have not been able to open e-mail attachments (excel & word documents), although I AM able to right click and use the "save as" feature. Also, I am not able to open links within the e-mail. When I double click on either a link or an attachment, an a BLANK internet explorer window pops up, but nothing happens. Finally, spam pop ups, which popped up ok previously, simply pop up in a blank internet explorer window. Any idea what the problem might be? Thanks much.

Mike

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: problem opening ae-mail attachments and links
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: problem opening ae-mail attachments and links
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: problem opening ae-mail attachments and links
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 7, 2004 12:57 AM PDT

Mike,

Which e-mail are you using with Netzero? Their online "webmail" or are you downloading the mail to Outlook Express or Outlook? Which version of Internet Explorer are you using?

Because this type of problem can occur because of spyware/viruses, please use the links below:

First, run a free online virus scan at one of the links below:

Housecall Online Scanner

Panda Online Scanner

After that, download, install, update, then run the free spyware removal tools below:

Ad-Aware

Collapse -
Re: problem opening an e-mail attachments and links
by Foxx / October 7, 2004 5:29 PM PDT

I am having problems with logging into my email serv. prov. I am using hotmail, but everytime I go to login to my email account an about:blank screen pops up. I have downloaded and used spybot and spywareguard and although they have cleaned my system, "I hope", of spyware, I am still having these login problems. Please help me,
-Foxx

Collapse -
Re: problem opening an e-mail attachments and links
by miltonhcopeland / October 7, 2004 8:42 PM PDT

Foxx, "about:blank" is a serious malware/hijacker and will need some special attention to get rid of. I highly recommend you enlist the aid of some experts on one of the spyware information forums.
It typically will have installed a small program on your start-up which can cause several problems, even to the point of disabling your anti-virus.
There is a little fix called "aboutbuster" that may used in conjunction with "hijackthis" to help get rid of the pest.
These along with "adaware" should be run in safe mode for best results
Good luck

Collapse -
by cubboy / October 7, 2004 11:16 PM PDT

Grif and others,

Thanks for the advice...I use Netzero's online webmail and my internet explorer is version 5.5. As I'm also having problems with connecting to the internet, I haven't had a chance to check the virus scans you listed yet. I have used the spyware tools you mentioned quite regularly though. Another problem I now have, and it seems it may be related to the original issue of not being able to access links within an e-mail or open attachments, is that I get an error message when I try to open ANY of my excel spreadsheets on my hard drive in "my documents". The message says something like

"can not find C: my documents/excel spreadsheet.xls". Perhaps you typed it wrong in the Run dialog. Go to to search option and try to locate it or it can't find the system file.

I've never run across this type of error message and don't know where to begin to try and fix it either. I tried "searching" for it, but received the same message. Very frusturating. Any suggestions? Thanks for your help in this matter.

Mike

Collapse -
Mike, At This Point...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 8, 2004 4:57 AM PDT

....I suggest installing Internet Explorer 6 SP1. IE 5.5 SP2 is probably causing the issue and updating to the newer version will probably repair the problem. Normally, you would need an internet connection to get the download, but if you have a friend, or family member with a broadband connection, you can click on the link below, download the full IE 6 SP1 installer file, then copy it to a CD. You should be able to install it from the CD.

Internet Explorer 6 SP1 Download Page
In order to get the full installer download, click on the link above, then download the small "ie6setup.exe" file to your computer. After the setup file downloads to your desktop and while still on the internet, double click the setup file, agree to the license, then choose to do a "Custom" setup. I don't have the setup file here, but I believe at the next page there is an "Advanced" button in the lower right corner. Click on it and choose the "Full" download. When the download starts, it will be a large file, but it can be copied to a CD and run on your other computer.

While you're at it, try downloading a second browser called Firefox at the link below. If nothing else, it will give you a second "chance" if IE doesn't start working better. After installing it and running it for a while, if you don't like it, simply uninstall it.

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

You can have both Firefox and Internet Explorer on the computer at the same time and they should both work fine.

HOpe this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
by dragonslayer / October 7, 2004 10:53 PM PDT

If you are using Outlook Express, you might have to enable attatchments to be opened. To check on this, click on "Tools" >> "Options" >> the click on the "Security" tab. Under the heading Virus Protection, aside from other options, will be the follong- "Do not allow attachments to be opened or saved that could potentially be a virus" If the check box is checked, 'uncheck' it. When you are done opening whatever email attachments you want to open, then you can go back and turn this feature back on, depending on how your feel about your computer's anti-virus security. Hope this helps

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!