Computer Help forum

Question

Problem logging into internet at the office

by BlackCanopus / August 22, 2014 4:01 PM PDT

Hi
Our office uses an ISA server.

When I log into my computer using a domain account, I can access the internet seamlessly and without any problems. This domain account is useless however, since it does not allow me to run the programs that need administrative privileges.

But when I log into my computer using a local administrator account, (which I do most of the time), the first time I try to connect to the internet using an internet browser, a username/password dialog pops up and asks for my very long 'domain' username and password.
I could cope with this, but there are 2 problems.
1- When I do not access the internet for 4-5 minutes, I have to re-enter the huge username and password all over again.
2- Programs that access the internet in the background (Windows update, antivirus update, etc.) always generate error messages because of this hindrance.

I want to know, is there a way to enter and store my 'domain' user name and password somewhere in the settings (for my local user) so I don't have to go through this painful process again and again?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problem logging into internet at the office
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problem logging into internet at the office
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Nope
by Jimmy Greystone / August 22, 2014 10:26 PM PDT

Nope, that would be a gaping security hole. Plus, you're doing this all backwards. You should be logging into your domain account and using "Run program as" for the few programs that need admin access and you were given a local admin account for. You should never be logging in directly to the local admin account. Have someone in your company's IT department set up shortcuts so that every time you launch programs that need admin access, they prompt you to enter in the local admin account username and password.

Someone in your company's IT department really dropped the ball in a big way by not doing this when they gave you a local admin account along with explaining to you never to log in with the local admin account.

Collapse -
some computers with a local admin account can do that
by BlackCanopus / August 24, 2014 2:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Nope

Thanks for the reply.

The guy who is in charge of the IT department now, is a manager, not a professional computer technician. He does not know how to set these things up. The ones who set these things up were a bunch of IT guys on contract, who came, set everything up, offered absolutely no technical information, and left. They would ask for extra money to come and pay a visit.

I set up my local admin account myself and connected to the network using my domain account. Everything is perfect, the company software (we have a bunch) work just fine, except for the annoying password box that pops up every now and then.
I have noticed that some of our computers that have a local admin account, can access internet seamlessly, though. These PCs were set up by the IT guys, but they do not have a specific user, so they were left without a domain account. The IT guys must have done something that these PCs do not require the user to enter the password manually.

Collapse -
You're making a good case for your company
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 24, 2014 2:57 AM PDT

To hire an IT staffer or employee that can deal with issues like this. It's also a case where companies get mad about all the issues and then burn it all down then implement an entirely new system.
Bob

Collapse -
I agree with Bob
by Jimmy Greystone / August 24, 2014 3:22 AM PDT

I agree with Bob, this is exactly the sort of setup you do not want to have and no self-respecting IT admin would allow to go on. The sad thing about a lot of contracting places is they will do only what is specified by the contract. So say you hire someone to run a bunch of ethernet cable around the building. You might think that terminating that cable at a jack and actually wiring it all up would be included, but some places will absolutely not go beyond the strict letter of the contract, so if the contract didn't call for wiring up some jacks it won't happen.

Plenty of companies think they can save money by not having some of the functions larger companies do, like an IT or HR department, but the simple fact is they exist for a very good reason. Just having some black box at the network gateway doesn't do you a whole lot of good if half the people in the company are running around with unfettered admin level access. Same as there's been a rash of startup companies out here in the silicon valley area where there have been accusations of sexual harassment or other such things and these startups are caught completely flat footed.

At the very least, your company needs someone who can come in part-time to help maintain these things. Right now, anyone who has admin level access and uses it regularly like you do, is a massive security risk to the entire company. One wrong click and you've opened the floodgates to malware, which will then use your system as a beach head to infest your entire internal network. Any confidential information your company may store is at risk. If you're in the healthcare or legal industry where confidentiality is not just expected, but demanded to be maintained at all times, your company could be looking at some massive fines even if not a single scrap of confidential information has been exposed. But even assuming you're in some other area of business, would your company want confidential information being leaked on the Internet? Because if it hasn't happened already, that's exactly what you're flirting with right now.

Collapse -
Answer
Well I work in an IT environment
by orlbuckeye / August 24, 2014 10:41 PM PDT

and I have to support some PC's by installing software and my domain account has administrative rights. Now our security doesn't like giving out admin rights unless it's totally necessary. We've had problems with users deleting their roots drives and installing apps. We do have a problem with Firefox where if prompts you for your domain username and password eventhough your already logged. This problem is caused by our prevents users from going to offlimits sites and it's doesn't work with FF.

I also get this if I'm use Juno Pulse to connect (VPN) to the domain if I use remote desktop and remote to my desktop i can use the browser on my PC inside the fiewall. If I try to run a browser on my PC i get challenged to login to the domain.

My guess is that you need admin rights assigned to your domain account. That way you would just login using that domain account. My company doesn't allow us to use our i=won computers on our newtwork. They will only allow us to VPN on our own PCs.

Collapse -
I ran into that
by Jimmy Greystone / August 24, 2014 11:28 PM PDT

I ran into that where I work, or at least something similar. Not to derail this thread, but... Because Firefox is designed to be cross platform it kind of rolls its own solution to just about everything short of a TCP/IP stack. If you have a packet inspector set up that also intercepts HTTPS traffic, Firefox will detect that and throw a warning because the security certificates won't match. Chome uses the same Windows functions as IE for dealing with security certificates, so is completely ignorant to this. Assuming you didn't already know this, it should point you in the right direction if you're looking to solve it. It just requires a little extra config work.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.