Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Problem installing Windows XP Update

by Redleg28 / February 18, 2008 3:27 AM PST

I am attempting to install Windows XP on an old computer currently operating with Windows 98SE. I was succwssful on another idetical computer and was successful once on the current computer. However, I messed the program up and had to reformat the hard drive and reinstall Windows 98SE. Since then the Windows XP install program stops during the Installing Windows/Copying files phase with about 27 minutes to complete. I have two Windows XP CDs and the results on both are identical on repeated attempts.

I looked in the setuperr file and the only error listed is: Error:C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\PTCLRL.CPL failed unexpectedly. Error:0

I looked in the Windows 98SE files and file Ptcrl is present at 52k and the Attribute is checked for Archive.

Any assistance would be most appreciated.

Redleg28

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problem installing Windows XP Update
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problem installing Windows XP Update
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Now just try the old clean install method.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 18, 2008 3:44 AM PST

Windows 98 is not a requirement to install XP. Just have the 98 CD handy to show it if this is some upgrade version. Hint? Blank hard disk...

Collapse -
Problem installing Windows XP Upgrade
by Redleg28 / February 18, 2008 5:50 AM PST

Thank yu for your help!
I tried a clean installation with the following results:
1. The install ran well until Installing Start menu items at 19 minutes to complete the installation. Then it froze.
2. After a few minutes, I turned the power off and restarted the computer.
3. The intall program began but immediately flashed a blue screen and restarted.
4. On restart, the program froze at the light blue screen with the arrow and hour clock.
5. Turned power off and restarted computer. Windows install came up properly but froze within seconds at Installing Windows at 39 minutes.

Does it seem a proper solution might be to reformat the hard drive and start the Windows XP installation from a blank hard drive. I assume that is possible.

Redleg28

Collapse -
Close. Tell me about...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 18, 2008 8:39 AM PST

The machine and what's plugged into the USB ports. One owner had a printer that caused the exact grief you wrote about. Also since the hardware may be dated you need to try the old ways. Such as disabling the sound card, usb ports in the bios during the initial install.

Bob

Collapse -
Problems with installing Windows XP Update
by Redleg28 / February 19, 2008 3:44 AM PST

I attempted to install Windows XP as new installation but ran into the problem that the XP install program would not partition the hard drive so I could install XP on a separate drive. So I got out of the install and partitioned the hard drive in DOS into two drives. I thought I had partitioned and formated them correctly until I attempted to reinstall Windows 98. I immediately received the error message: ScanDisk cannot read from the last cluster on drive C. This cluster is either damaged, or your system is not configured properly. Drive C may need to have Logical Block Addressing (LBA) enabled to work properly, or its disk partition may be incorrectly marked on a non-LBA partition. Data loss can occur if your LBA setup or disk partition type for this drive is misconfigured .

Check your computer?s BIOS setup utility, etc

I checked the Bios setup utility and it read:

Primary Master

Options Size Cyls Head Precomp Landz Sector Mode
2 Y 80 9729 255 -0- 38308 63 LBA

1 80 38309 16 65535 38308 255 Normal

3 80 4788 128 65535 38308 255 Large

At this moment, I'm completely at a loss how to go about fixing the problem.

Collapse -
While XP can't "repartition" it has always been able to
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 19, 2008 4:45 AM PST
Collapse -
Problems with installing Windows XP Upgrade
by Redleg28 / February 19, 2008 5:06 AM PST

I couldn't get to the page that you provided to me. Supposedly the previous page allowed you to use the up and down to select the option of partitioning the hard drive. I couldn't get the up/down funtion to highlight that item.

No matter now because of my partitioning the hard drive I can't load any program because I get the error that ScanDisk cannot read from the last cluster on drive. This cluster is either damaged, or your system is not configured properly. Drive C may need to have Logical Block Addressing (LBA) enabled to work properly, or its disk partition may be incorrectly marked on a non-LBA partition. Data loss can occur if your LBA setup or disk partition type for this drive is misconfigured.

Thanks for your help!

Collapse -
Time to start over?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 19, 2008 8:54 AM PST

Just boot your dos CD and try again.

Collapse -
by Redleg28 / February 20, 2008 12:26 AM PST
In reply to: Time to start over?

Once again I am attempting to install XP using the new install capability. I have reached the screen that shows the existing partions. I have all of my 80 MB partitioned into one drive and cannot get the Press C function to create a new partition. Do I understand that I need available unpartioned space on the hard drive in order to use this function?

I tried partitioning my hard drive using fdisk into two working (C & D) drives but for some reason I just don't understand how to do it even though I'm reading Microsoft's instructions. Do you know of a more understandable set of instructions?

Again, thanks for your help!

Collapse -
When you partition...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 20, 2008 12:39 AM PST

To leave empty space just don't create that partition. Your XP install screens if the partitions are valid will let you delete the old partition.

Bob

Collapse -
by Redleg28 / February 21, 2008 3:28 AM PST
In reply to: When you partition...

Since the last episode of being unable to install XP, I have reformatted my drive into two drives, installed 98SE on the C drive and attempted to install XP as a new installation on the D drive. XP install operated until the Installing Windows at 39 minutes phase whereapon the computer froze up.

I used the following debugging capabilities in Windows Advance Options Menu (Enable Boot Logging, Enable VGA Mode, Last Known Good Configuration, Directory Service Restore and Debugging Mode) and all failed to change anything. My computer locks up shortly after starting Installing Windows at 39 minutes to go.

My computer is current on pause at the Windows Advanced Options Menue. Can you please advise me what I should do next.

Collapse -
I have reformatted my drive into two drives
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 21, 2008 3:45 AM PST

Which is not how I do this. I might partition the drive for 98se, but leave the rest unpartitioned so XP's installer will do what it thinks is best. You may be relearning a lesson here but that's fine.

The "froze" could be for a variety of reasons including whatever caused you to reinstall hasn't been fixed. Tell us about leaving the case cover off and if the fans and heatsinks are spotless or not.

Bob

Collapse -
by Redleg28 / February 21, 2008 11:50 AM PST

I have set up my hard drive with a C drive od 30MB and the remainder 30 MB's free. Will give it a try tomorrow as you recommended. I have had the sides off my computer and have previously checked the fans but will check them again.

Collapse -
by Redleg28 / February 22, 2008 2:23 AM PST

I again tried to install XP leaving half of my hard drive unpartitioned. The install program functioned fine, partitioning the hard drive, formatting and coverting the space. The files were copied but very shortly after the screen reading Installing Windows the system failure blue screen came up. Subsequent attempts were as follows:
1. Shut down and restarted computer. Computer froze immediately after install starting at the light blue screen with just the arrow and hour clock.
2. Same as above.
3. Install started again and computer restarted on its own.
4. Same as above.
5. Same as above.

At this point I abandoned any further attempts. Every time I attempt to install XP I get the failure at exactly the same point where the screen reads Installing Windows with 39 minutes left until completion regardless of the method used.

The only component that I have active are the hard drive, mouse, key board and a video card with driver set to Standard PCI Card VGA.

I would really apprecaite and help you can give me.

Collapse -
". Install started again and computer restarted on its own."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 22, 2008 2:30 AM PST

This is a sign that the hardware has issues. Those issues are likely to be the reason you are starting over. I asked for this reason but can't find the answer.

There are methods to install XP on difficult hardware with tricks such as disabling the CPU L2 CACHE, USB and Audio in the BIOS but until I find answers to my questions it's not a good idea to try that.

Bob

Collapse -
Install started again and computer restarted on its own.
by Redleg28 / February 22, 2008 2:51 AM PST

I have pictures of my Bios if that will help.

Collapse -
Point me to the answer to my question first.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 22, 2008 2:58 AM PST

Sorry, I can't find it.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!