Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Problem installing ram

by jmatzick / November 20, 2006 2:55 AM PST

I just bought another 256mb of ram to go with the 256 that I already have. I installed the ram in its place but my computer still only shows 256mbs. I switched the two rams but still only have 256. I took the original 256 out and only put the new on in and the computer wouldn't boot. Both rams have a PC133 sticker so I assume they are compatible. Any ideas why I cant get the new ram to work?
Using win xppro IE6
Thanks,
John

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problem installing ram
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problem installing ram
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Looks Like The RAM Stick Is Faulty
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 20, 2006 5:29 AM PST
In reply to: Problem installing ram

If the original RAM works correctly and the new one won't at all, then take it back and get it replaced.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Problem installing ram
by Bob__B / November 20, 2006 5:38 AM PST

The stick could be bad....like Grif said.

Or.

Not all machines will accept all ram.
Some machines are forgiving.
Some machines are fussy.

That's why we have places like:
http://www.crucial.com/

Collapse -
Does your computer's
by Ray Harinec / November 20, 2006 5:39 AM PST

memory bus support PC 133?? The older PC133's usually would run just fine on many PC 66 mobo's and PC100 mobo's. However the configuration of many later make PC133's are not very backward's compatible.

Collapse -
(NT) bummer. thanks
by jmatzick / November 20, 2006 7:13 AM PST
In reply to: Does your computer's
Collapse -
Ray....the funny thing is ....it had PC133 in it
by VAPCMD / November 20, 2006 11:12 AM PST
In reply to: Does your computer's

when the PC was purchased and that's what Crucial recommends too.

Wonder if the 2nd DIMM slot is bad ?

And I agree about some backward incompatability PC66-100-133... had some Dells at work a while back running at 66MHz but it came stock with PC100. But it wouldn't run reliably with PC133.

Wonder if the Dell DIMM would have worked and with the other DIMM too ?

VAPCMD

Collapse -
But did he buy the specific type
by Ray Harinec / November 20, 2006 11:42 AM PST

of PC133 that Crucial reccomended? My reply would be useful ONLY if his mobo did not actually support PC133, as opposed to a PC100 that ran the older PC133's.

The arrangement and control wiring of some of the new sided sticks are different.

Collapse -
If the PC failed to start the memory module is dead!
by shyamalmitra / November 22, 2006 12:43 PM PST

My friend,

You have said that your system did not boot when your new RAM stick was plugged alone to your DIMM bank. Forget booting, the PC's processor and SMPS fans will not start, showing total circuit failure if your memory module has become malfunctional. Dead RAM sticks do not get sold by honest traders. The customer should see the module get tested OK at the H/W vendor's testboard before he opens his wallet! And that golden rule applies to each and every PC peripheral you buy with your hard earned money! Dead memory sticks don't get repaired. They are fit for recycling only. The vendor should replace it with a properly functioning module if it was purchased under lifetime(Read 3 months) or limited period warranty. If you got it from a junkshop from the flea-market (assuming there are such in your country as are in my India), write-off the loss mentally with a mug of good beer. No use going back to that shopkeeper with any mercy pleas! He will fail to remember having seen you before.

Collapse -
intel 810e mb ram
by kenklec / November 22, 2006 6:16 PM PST

How old is your system and what mainboard is in it?

The Intel ca810e mainboard, and some Dell systems that used a similar board based on the 810e chipset (about five or six years old), will accept 256 MB DIMMs, but the manual says that they 'must be built with 128 Mbit device technology'. The manual also says that 'the CA810E board requires 100 MHz SDRAM DIMMs', but I run a bunch with 133 MHz DIMMs.

Collapse -
Problem installing RAM
by shyamalmitra / November 23, 2006 11:08 AM PST
In reply to: intel 810e mb ram

Dear Kenklec,

Intel chipset 810E/810ET/810ES based mainboards for Pentium III processors will all support 133Mhz SDRAM sticks whether the display shows them as 100Mhz or otherwise in BIOS.

The problem my friend here is not what chipset this newbie has on his mainboard. He says his earlier 256MB 133Mhz SDR is functional but when he mounts a newly bought 256MB 133Mhz SDR on the memory bank to get a base memory of 512MB, his PC fails to boot! When he removes his old SDR and tries to run his new SDR the machine fails to boot as well. The conclusion is that a faulty RAM module whether singularly or in tandem with other healthy module, will prevent 3volt core current to pass through and disallow the entire electric cicuit on the mainboard to function. If it did, the processor will die of an untimely death! No booting, not even the start of the processor and SMPS fans, the surest indicator of a successful boot, shall occur till that rogue RAM stick is removed.

Thanks.

Collapse -
Problem installing ram:
by Atvrunnerboats / November 22, 2006 9:32 PM PST

jmatzick:
I own a Dell desktop, and I had 256mb ram and I wanted an extra 512 mb,, I tried 3 of them from different dealers, and none of them worked, I had to eventually go to Dell and get their 512 mb ram, I installed it and wham,, it worked right away, it's best to go to the source and get the right product, it cost a bit more, but then your sure it will work.
Hope this helps.
From one who knows

Collapse -
Problem installing ram
by jmatzick / November 23, 2006 12:33 AM PST

Took the stick back to the computershop along with the cpu. I came back later and he told me that the stick was bad. He ordered another one for me. I'll wait and see what happens.
Thanks.
John

Collapse -
I was just going to ask
by PudgyOne / November 23, 2006 4:12 AM PST

if you disconnected the power cord to install the RAM.

Rick

Post back to let us know how you made out.

Collapse -
Kudos Baby! You saved the deal.
by shyamalmitra / November 23, 2006 11:18 AM PST

I was not very optimistic about your getting the faulty SDR replaced from your vendor. Now I see your new post that you have/or are going to get a replacement makes me very happy indeed. Remember! Once bitten twice shy! When you get the replacement, don't leave the vendor's shop till he has shown the replaced SDR to be OK on his testboard! And hence remember to get every PC part tested OK before buying.

Collapse -
installing ram
by bluestar8 / November 23, 2006 1:21 AM PST

CL or class latency voltage makes the difference on computer ram compatability....

Collapse -
PC133 Issues
by wcoffey81 / November 25, 2006 12:22 AM PST

first off thank you for buying the RAM locally! it's nice to have a real person to talk to, face to face, when you have a problem isn't it?? DOA Ram happens and it happens with every brand so there is no "magic" company. we have had the best luck with corsair's value ram when we have seen this issue but it's still not 100%. if nothing else will work step back to PC100. with the price of ram today have you ever given a thought to upgrading to a processor/motherboard that
uses DDR. even a Celeron/Sempron based system using 512Mb of DDR would make XP PRO "happier" than what you are trying to do

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!