PC Applications forum

General discussion

Problem in Microsoft Outlook Express to import contact data

by arsubhani7 / January 27, 2009 6:23 PM PST

I have installed MS outlook Express.There is a problem when I import CVS file from my yahoo account to outlook express it does not import all contact.In the cvs file from there are all contact more than 400.But when i import then in Outlook express it imports only 25 contact and then gives an error.

Can you please guide me what is the problem.the procedure to export contact file from yahoo contact to outlook express and then to import in outlook express is all as per requirement.

Kindly guide me to resolve this issue.

thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problem in Microsoft Outlook Express to import contact data
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problem in Microsoft Outlook Express to import contact data
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: error in Outlook Express
by Kees Bakker / January 27, 2009 6:26 PM PST

- What error does it give?
- Are those 25 contacts OK?
- If you make a new cvs (csv?) file with the next 10 contacts, do those import OK? Or is something wrong with record #26, for example?

Kees

Collapse -
error in Outlook express
by arsubhani7 / January 27, 2009 6:31 PM PST

The message is as under

"Microsoft Office Outlook has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

the contact which are copied are random from a to z.

I have counted then they are 51.but random

thanks

Collapse -
Re: Outlook
by Kees Bakker / January 27, 2009 6:43 PM PST

In your first post you are mentioning Outlook Express. Now you are mentioning MS Office Outlook (but you don't mention a version). Which of the two is it? And what version?

And in your first post you say it imports 25 contacts, but now you say it are 51. What's right?

The error message, alas, doesn't tell much, if anything. The most likely cause to me is that there is invalid data in the file or the format of the file (field names) aren't what they should be. All you can do, I think, is to compare your input file with an output (export contacts) from Outlook. See if there are any differences that might explain an error. If you find any, edit the file so it is acceptable.

Can you see any difference between those 25/51 and the others that aren't imported? Can you retry with just one of the records that weren't imported? Maybe it works the second time, maybe it gives an error also. Then edit that file (with only one record) until it's accepted. That would give a good clue what's wrong with the file.

If no luck, prepare for a day full of copy/paste and typing. If your contacts aren't worth a day of work, there's no need of course to do that.

Kees

Collapse -
error in Outlook express--5
by arsubhani7 / January 27, 2009 7:16 PM PST
In reply to: Re: Outlook

Thanks for answers and quarries.

It is Microsoft Outlook 2003
I have counted the contact they 51 I am sure for that.
I think there is no difference in the copied and other contacts.
In the past I have copied all the contact in one go.
I cant copy paste contact it is just to write down.
If I do this it will be difficult in future to update my record.

thanks

Collapse -
There could be an error ...
by Kees Bakker / January 27, 2009 9:14 PM PST
In reply to: Re: Outlook

in your outlook.pst file also. Try compacting it (after making a backup).

Possible sources of error:
- format of input file invalid
- data in input file invalid
- outlook.pst corrupted
- outlook program corrupted: reinstall
- an outlook add-on or malware interfering: run outlook /safe
- windows profile corrupted: try in a new Windows account

Might take some sleuthing to find the cause.

Kees

Collapse -
Thanks for the help..a little problem also
by arsubhani7 / January 27, 2009 10:00 PM PST

Bunddle of thanks for your suggestions.

Anyhow I transferred my contacts from yahoo to hotmail and then exported them to outlook expres.
Then the outlook accepted the csv file.

One small problem again,when all the contacts were imported to outlook I got them in the order as follows,

Last name,first name

but I need them in first name,Last name.

Is there any command that I can changed the order of 400 contacts with one or two command instead of doing individually.

I shall be thankful to you..and sorry for bothering you.

Arfan

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?