Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Problem in installing MS office 97

by asamir00 / August 1, 2014 10:04 AM PDT

Hi,

For some reasons in my job I must use Ms Access 97. these days when trying to install it in my PC (core 2 Duo) + windows XP. it refuses the installation saying that this copy is installed several times.
please help me to find a way specially I flailed in finding or downloading another copy of this old office.

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problem in installing MS office 97
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problem in installing MS office 97
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If you need it for a job
by Jimmy Greystone / August 1, 2014 10:09 AM PDT

If you need it for a job, have your employer source a copy and provide it for you. You won't find any help with getting pirated software to work on these forums. I personally have few qualms with pirating software, but figure by doing so you assume any and all responsibility for fixing anything and everything that goes wrong. If you aren't up to the task, open up your wallet and buy the software so someone else will be obligated to help you.

Collapse -
Then I have to buy it
by asamir00 / August 1, 2014 10:29 AM PDT
Happy Thank for your answer.
OK. may you advise me please, from where I can order (buy) this old version of office.
Collapse -
You can't
by Jimmy Greystone / August 1, 2014 1:00 PM PDT
In reply to: Then I have to buy it

You can't, Microsoft stopped selling Office 97 ages ago. You can try places that deal in second hand software, but you probably have a 50/50 chance of being ripped off with those places.

So I would repeat that if this is a requirement for your job, your employer should be providing it for you. If they do not or will not it is probably an indication that you want to be seeking employment elsewhere. I know it can still be rough in a lot of the world, but if they expect you to provide everything you need to do work for them, that is a company you don't want to be involved with. Odds are they're skirting all kinds of other laws and regulations where you live and you'll be the one left holding the bag when things blow up, pretty much guaranteed. Not to mention if they're still using software as old as Access 97, dollars to donuts they are existing on borrowed time. You can't buy the software anymore, there's no support for it, and sooner or later it will simply stop working on newer versions of Windows (it's already on the temperamental side). What exactly does this company plan to do when the day comes that running XP isn't an option and Office 97 is thus no longer viable?

Do not stick around to find out first hand. Much better to read or hear about it after you've moved on.

Collapse -
Back to your job's IT staff.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 1, 2014 10:27 AM PDT

That's what they are there for.
Bob

Collapse -
as Jim noted, you can't
by James Denison / August 1, 2014 1:30 PM PDT
Collapse -
There are probably registry entries that weren't removed
by orlbuckeye / August 7, 2014 4:37 AM PDT

and are telling the installer that it's already installed. You may want to look at registry and do a search for say Office.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!