Computer Help forum

General discussion

Problem hanging plasma tv

by whitney0206 / September 21, 2008 12:41 PM PDT

We have a 42 in tv that we are trying to hang on the wall. I have a brand new house, and in my bedroom when we were looking for the studs we had no luck. We were only able to find one. We even went in the attic and it does not look like there is any 2 X 4's. We do not kno what other options we have to hang the tv. There is a concrete wall right next to where the drywall is, but the drywall is NOT mounted directly on the concrete. Please let us know if you have ANY suggestions

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problem hanging plasma tv
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problem hanging plasma tv
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just a link, one liner
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 29, 2008 12:58 AM PDT
Collapse -
There are options
by Fredxxxxx / October 3, 2008 4:13 PM PDT

I am an engineer in Australia with building experience.
I take it you have a plasterboard inner wall attached to a timber frame and on the other side of the frame there is a concrete wall. Your problem is that you can only find one stud where you need it.
Studs are normally placed at either centres of 45 cm or 60 cm (I'm guessing you're in an imperial-units setting: 18" or 2' centres). How far to the side did you look? Try checking 18" and 2' to the side. It can't realistically be more than this or the inner wall will not have enough support. If there is no more support, you had better start talking to the builder of the house!!! (Some shonky builders will cut corners to save money, and hope they never get caught! Was teh house inspected when the frame was up?)
Options:
1. Sue the builder and get the right amount of studs put in.
2. Fashion a flat, vertical, steel "post" that is short enough to hide behind the TV. Attach (weld) a horizontal flat piece to this and put a hook or similar on the outer end. The result should look like an inverted "L". Securely screw the vertical piece to the one stud you have found. Make the horizontal piece long enough to reach to the centre point where you want the TV to hang. You should be able to get enough strength from steel that is a couple of millimetres (an eighth of an inch) thick.
3. Hang it from the ceiling next to the wall. It may be possible to dress it up to look good, depending on your decor.
4. There must be another stud somewhere. Run a horizontal piece of timber or whatever between the two studs either side of the centre line of the TV. Hang the TV from that. Again, you will have "dressing up" issues. You might do it by attaching a piece of ornate timber right across the wall - a bit like a picture rail. This again assumes that there is more than one stud - which there must be.
5. Use a rod that stands on the floor and runs up behind the tv. Decor again.
6. Buy a couple of picture hangers that fix into plaster. They come graded according to what weight they will support. I suspect you will find something to suit. If the TV is too heavy for anything available, add a couple of discreet supports under the unit as well, to hold it top and bottom. If you go this way, remember to weigh the TV before you go shopping.

I have just realised that all I have been saying actually applies to hanging pictures - with a wire at the back. I suppose the TV has a couple of attachment points, or something like that. You should be able to adapt what I have said to your needs.

Collapse -
My easy solution
by jhibberts / October 3, 2008 9:08 PM PDT

I would cut a piece of half inch plywood about 6" smaller than the height of the TV. Make this square. Prime and paint 1 side and the edges of the piece to match your wall. This is in case you might be able to see it from the side. Determine where you want the TV mounted and clean the wall thoroughly (TSP maybe). Check with your local home center, (Lowes, Home Depot)and purchase a good brand of construction adhesive. After the wall has dried and your paint is dry, apply adhesive to the bare side of the plywood. Place it, being sure it is level, and press it into place. The good ones require you to apply pressure for a couple of minutes. Let dry thoroughly, 24 hours at least. If the stud you have is some where behind the plywood this is great, put a couple of 3" drywall screws in for insurance. Now that everything is dry mount the wall mount for the TV as per manufacturers instructions. Good luck..

Collapse -
It's not as hard as you think
by bofahs / October 3, 2008 11:54 PM PDT

If the stud is behind any part of the TV it's really easy, but that's not necessary. I make all of my TV mounts, and some for friends and customers. The key is to fashion a bracket that puts all of the load in "shear" and none in "tension", that is, the weight goes down the wall, not partially away from the wall. It's a cleaner installation, too. Here's how you do it.

Measure the actual width of the TV. GO to your local sheet metal shop and tell them that you want a "flat J-bracket" with 4 inches down the wall, turned straight back up 1 inch, and loosely flattened (we call it a "loose hem") to hold a corresponding bracket you will attach to the back of the TV. It should be made of .063 aluminum. It will be about three feet long. They can put a series of 4 or 5 holes along the top of the 4 inch leg to accommodate 50-pound screw-in drywall anchors. That should let you hold up to 200 lb. and I think your TV weighs about 60.

Carefully measure the height you'll need and install the anchors, then use the included screws screws to fasten the bracket to the wall.

Try to hit the stud with a regular screw through one of the holes.

Now, attach the other bracket to the back of the TV using the 4 or 6 mm machine threaded holes that every bracket uses.

You'll have a wide hook on the wall turned up, and a wide hook on the TV turned down. Plug in your cables then hook one into the other.

You'll spend about $50 at the shop and 10 bucks or so for the drywall hangers. Cheap, clean, and closer to the wall than a purchased bracket.

Collapse -
Problem hanging plasma tv
by b19mag3gie7 / October 4, 2008 9:23 AM PDT

I just put my TV on the wall, So I think I can help you. Starting with the dry wall. Pick a spot where you want to hang it and cut the dry wall from stud to stud, (You said that that the dry wall is not a on the block wall. that is OK.) put a 2x6x6 between the studs.if that is not thick enough add what ever it takes to fill the gap between the block and the dry wall. Now finish off the wall and not you can put the TV bracket on the wall and hang the TV. If there is a 110 out let below where you are hanging the TV you can run a wire down the inside of the wall while you have it open, and tie in to the 110 plug. Do not cut the end off of the TV cord. Use a short length existence cord, that way if you need to take the TV down you will be able to remove the TV with the cord. Bob my e-mail is b19mag3gie7@yahoo.com

Collapse -
looking for studs
by Sanford Scholton / October 4, 2008 3:21 PM PDT

If there is one stud in the wall, there has got to be two or more. Go to any builders store and buy a stud finder. The good ones should not cost more then $40. Use it to search 16 inches from the one stud you have found.

Collapse -
You asked and I have appeared. :)
by Dango517 / October 4, 2008 3:41 PM PDT
In reply to: looking for studs

"One stud at your service". Grin Just kidding! Happy

This thread untracked

Collapse -
Studs Flat panel TV
by jrap330 / October 6, 2008 5:26 AM PDT
In reply to: looking for studs

This writer is correct..there has to be 2 stud.....US code 16" apart.
Think about it..how else could you "nail" sheetrock to one stud...everything needs to be supported by at least 2 points.

If you can NOT get the holes in TV mount to line up with the 2 studs. You need to use plywood. It appears you may need a professional, to advoid any unnecessary hardships. Did the TV vendor require too much money to install it.

Collapse -
Wall Hangings
by hande64 / October 6, 2008 2:31 AM PDT

The most reliable method ZI have found for hanging heavy items on sheetreck walls where you can't reach the studs is to use nylon or plastic hollow wall screw-in anchors. They are made by a few different manufacturers, are for a few differents weights(20, 30 or 50 lb, and are easy to install(no pre-drilling required). Ask for them at your local hardware store. I used these to install my kitchen cabinets ten years ago and they are solidly in place.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.